Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

davidgtz

Boole not working (I think)

davidgtz    1

Hello, I applied a cloth tag to this price sticker, I want to add the 2 "holes" or "perforations" at the top and bottom so I used Boole. I all seems to work but when the animation begins, the 2 cylinders I used to punch out the plane seem to stay in place and the sticker flies away in its original form.

Bonus question: Is there an easy way to just import that shape from Adobe illustrator as a plane, thus eliminating the need to use the Boole? I searched but I only got confused, seems too complicated.

Here are some screenshots:

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 4.45.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 4.46.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 4.46.45 PM.png

Cerbera    1,976

You'd be mad to use a boole at the same time as a cloth sim. That's 2 rather unstable systems that won't play nicely together. And even putting the spline from AI in an extrude won't give you topology very suitable for cloth deformation, although it could be persuaded to be so by adjusting several settings. Far easier to use the spline as visual reference while you just model this from polygons.

Here's what that would look like when made with deformation in mind - equally sized, even polygons.

ticket.thumb.jpg.6f4522520faae462db02b9e17c1e3020.jpg

I started this from a disc object to outline the divots, and patched the rest together with the bridge tool. Then I added some control cuts with loop cut so this would also work perfectly under subdivision.

We should also look at alternatives to cloth, which can be quite hard to control. For example a wind deformer as a child of the ticket would give much the same look, and be a lot more art directable, and you could then use something like an align-to-spline tag to move the ticket through the scene while it flutters...

CBR

• Like 1

davidgtz    1
  • Topic Author
  • 16 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You'd be mad to use a boole at the same time as a cloth sim. That's 2 rather unstable systems that won't play nicely together. And even putting the spline from AI in an extrude won't give you topology very suitable for cloth deformation, although it could be persuaded to be so by adjusting several settings. Far easier to use the spline as visual reference while you just model this from polygons.

Here's what that would look like when made with deformation in mind - equally sized, even polygons.

ticket.thumb.jpg.6f4522520faae462db02b9e17c1e3020.jpg

I started this from a disc object to outline the divots, and patched the rest together with the bridge tool. Then I added some control cuts with loop cut so this would also work perfectly under subdivision.

We should also look at alternatives to cloth, which can be quite hard to control. For example a wind deformer as a child of the ticket would give much the same look, and be a lot more art directable, and you could then use something like an align-to-spline tag to move the ticket through the scene while it flutters...

CBR

Oh man, since I'm a hopeless noob right know, is there a way you could share that file with me? I've been trying with spline but It's taking forever to figure out

Cerbera    1,976

Sure. Here it is.

Ticket wind.c4d

Couldn't resist popping a little wind deformer on there and giving it some procedural thickness. Press play !

CBR

• Like 1

davidgtz    1
  • Topic Author
  • Damn, I have a lot to learn, I've been doing it wrong for days haha, is there a way to set that object flying through a box? For reference I made this a few weeks ago using cloth (now realising I should have used your method) and now I want to do the same but for 3 different price stickers at the same time. So far, the file that you kindly provided only moves in its own place.

Cerbera    1,976
    4 minutes ago, davidgtz said:

is there a way to set that object flying through a box?

Yes, loads of ways. I like the align-to-spline tag method I mentioned above, or this way, using a simple vibrate tag.

Ticket wind 2.c4d

CBR

• Like 1

davidgtz    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks man, I appreciate it! I'll work with that.

• Namaste 1

Cerbera    1,976

BTW, in that vibrate tag, turn rotation up to 360 on X, Y and Z, and it'll look a lot more random and windy !

5a7b93852707c_windyticket.thumb.gif.e9a177f98dc19be68eb30de4c265afc1.gif

CBR

• Like 1