LittleD

PC or Mac which would you buy for C4D?

4 hours ago, Symn said:

Vrey late reaction to an old topic, but... couldnt you use the Puget PC as a headless render node? (asking because Im looking to building a PC-rendernode or getting an eGPU for an iMac)

Probably it would depend on how you connect it to the host computer and set it up but yes I think that should be possible. That said I've never set up PC render nodes so I may be wrong.

I don't give a about mac or pc so my advice is purely from the view of what hardware is currently available.

At this point in time, the mac desktop isnt in a great place. The mac pro is 5 years old at this point. Same old motherboard, same old gpu, same old cpu, same memory limits, same cpu choices. To call it neglected would be a gross understatement. There is a new model slated for 2019 but im not holding my breath.

The only mac really worth considering at this point would be the imac pro, however with a decent spec (14 cores, 64 gigs, vega 64) it will run you £6000-7000. Which for a system that isn't user upgradable or serviceable... well enjoy your expensive paper weight a few years down the line.

PC-wise, you can have a 16 core cpu, 64 gigs, 1TB SSD, geforce 1080 for £2700. Throw on whatever monitor you like and you have a machine with better performance for less than half the price. Add an extra £800 and you can double the performance with a 32core cpu.

Matthew O'Neill - 3D Fluff - www.3dfluff.com

PC all the way, much faster/better performance with much lower price, plus you can upgrade what ever you want.

17 hours ago, Symn said:

Vrey late reaction to an old topic, but... couldnt you use the Puget PC as a headless render node? (asking because Im looking to building a PC-rendernode or getting an eGPU for an iMac)

There's a series of short videos about setting up Team Render here at Cineversity. It's for R16, but R20 is exactly the same. 

TLDR version - you give all your pcs static IP addresses and type the IPs and port numbers in the relevant boxes.