LittleD

PC or Mac which would you buy for C4D?

LittleD    2

So I'm looking at buying another computer for C4D work only really and my question to everyone is...
Which would you buy a PC or an Apple Mac?

Thanks
G

ABMotion    238

This topic has been discussed so many times, it's really not worth another one. It's a subjective topic so you'll get arguments from both sides that don't really clarify either way. It's personal choice. The OS is irrelevant once inside using Cinema 4D.

The only relevant factors are the cost of the hardware if that is a consideration with your budget and any personal preference for the OS with other things you may do on the computer that are specific to Mac or PC.

• Like 1

danijelk    26

Hi,

Simply - With PC you get more power/performance, for same amount of money.

Cheers,

• Like 1

everfresh    312

if you are comfortable in both worlds, buy a pc. mac user speaking here.

• Like 1

LittleD    2
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks all. I'm a Mac user but really thinking of jumping to PC just for a Cinema 4D machine. What i'm hearing is you get more power for your money which is key for me as i'm just starting out on my own.

You guys are great!!!

Zmotive    59

Long-time Mac user here.

If you are OK using Win 10, then hardware-wise you can't really argue against a custom PC from a reputable company like Puget Systems. Any of them would pretty much destroy any Mac you can buy, dollar for dollar (including the new iMac Pro). They build fantastic rigs for this kind of work, do extensive burn-in testing before choosing components (so you know they'll work regardless of how you configure it) and have fantastic service. Great blog too.

Much as it pains me to say it, if I were forced to buy a new rig tomorrow it absolutely would be a Puget PC. Choose one of the models with a Designaire motherboard if you buy from Puget, unless you don't care about TB3 / the possibility of tacking an extra GPU onto your rig down the road.

When the next Mac Pro arrives that may put Mac back in the picture but who knows when that will be. Would not be surprised at all if sneak-peaked in June at WWDC but not sold until 2019.

• Like 1

Visionnext    77

It also depends, if you plan to use plugins or external render engines.

Some of the plugins are only available for PC.

Vray for C4D has some minor short-commings on Mac due to different system behavior, but most of the software runs on Mac as well without any issues.

• Like 1

Adrien    3

Surprised that nobody mentioned the lack of options for gpu rendering  on Mac. This is a serious shortcoming.

Apple is working on Egpu support through TB3 but it won’t be ready before June at the earliest.

• Like 1