Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

AlexisB

How to delete points ?

AlexisB    1

Hey guys,

Newbie here and very excited to learn C4D :-)

I am currently planning on using a bass guitar behind my product to showcase that it tunes a bass guitar, so there needs to be 4 strings.

The guitar i've imported has 6 strings, and since i'm a newbie i'm finding it difficult to control its shape, like removing 2 strings from it and using the 4.

Can anybody please help?

On a later stage i want to be able to control its texture as well but let's start with deleting spleen points, etc. controlling them from imported models.

Many thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 5.18.36 PM.png

Cerbera    1,976

Hello and welcome to the cafe :)

Don't delete any points from your spleen - you may well die !

But once we are clear on what a spleen is and what a spline is (!), then we're all set to go :)

You haven't given any details about how the model is constructed, so we'll be needing the scene file to be able to help properly. Please can you upload it ? If it's too big you can zip it, or upload to dropbox or similar, and link the file here.

But if you simply do need to remove points from a spline then all you have to do is go into points mode, select the ones you don't want and press delete !

CBR

AlexisB    1
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you so much for the prompt reply! I'm quite embarrassed now for how little i know of C4D :-) I've literally started working on it a couple of days ago.

Here is a screenshot of how the model is constructed. I've put all of it in a Null file. There is the product called Roadie, the guitar (Null), and the lighting setup. Is this helpful or you mean something else?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 5.27.02 PM.png

AlexisB    1
  • Topic Author
  • Here is a screenshot, the problem is i already went to point mode, attempted to delete the spline points but nothing was being deleted. It's either it's locked or something. In the screenshot, i selected the spline points, pressed delete, but nothing got deleted.

Clearly, there is a structure problem here that i am not understanding. Should it be converted to another format in order to have control over the splines? (control them, etc.)?

And the C4d Document is here: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/e32ece5438da72636751393f6a34b69d20180208155738/41c6f6fd351e3f725575f199702521b120180208155738/c2ba97

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 5.54.27 PM.png

bezo    536

Your strings are polygonal object. Contain points, edges, polygons, it´s not spline anymore...If you in point or polygon mode select single point/polygon of single string and press U+W (select connected), will be selected all points/polygons of single string (in case isn´t connected physically in somewhere, didn´t check your file)

Then when you press Delete, single string (group of selected points/polygons) will be deleted...

jed    324

You would also have to move the 4 remaining strings so they are evenly spaced across the fretboard. Then there's the bridge with 6 adjusters to fix, ditto the pickups with 6 poles, 6 tuners (if in shot). Probably easier to download an actual bass guitar.

In fact, judging by the thickness of the strings, that could well be a 6 string bass - a regular guitar has 3 plain strings and 3 wound strings.

AlexisB    1
  • Topic Author
  • What are good websites to download free well-made 3D models? Based on my research i found a couple but the ones i got were extremely generic/don't have any artistic touch to them.

If you know good websites for free 3D models that may have a decent bass guitar i'd appreciate it if you can recommend.

And thanks a lot for the help @bezo. that worked!

So basically what is to understand in this is that in order to turn a model into an editable point format i must go to point mode, select connected so that all the points are connected and then i can delete/reshape/control the points. And the reason why i couldn't control the shape earlier is because it's a polygonal object and not a basic spline shape... right?

jed    324

I've just looked on Turbosquid and they have some electric basses in the $50 - $100 range eg this Fender jazz.

I've used Turbosquid a couple of times for drones, and they seem OK. Considering that the prices for their model drones are about the same as a real model drone and very realistic, I had to laugh when I went to checkout and there was a disclaimer 'note - you are not buying an actual model'.

AlexisB    1
  • Topic Author
  • I have successfully deleted the extra 2 strings using the U+W. I want to control the length of the guitar neck now, to make it longer horizontally. I am selecting the splines but theyre not expanding, aka i still don't have full control over the spline's shape.

Anyone can help? How can i do that?

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 3.30.33 PM.png

Cerbera    1,976
    3 minutes ago, AlexisB said:

selecting the splines but theyre not expanding, aka i still don't have full control over the spline's shape.

As other people have mentioned previously it's not a spline, so it only adds confusion if you keep calling it that ! You are editing a polygon object, and the things you are trying to move are called Vertices (singular Vertex).

I have looked at your file, and whilst the neck has got some fairly horrendous topology typical of free models  (see below) that will break some of the polygon tools, moving vertices isn't one of them.

neck.thumb.jpg.eaebd4d708635a1145c287719d0228dc.jpg

I am able to select any points (vertices) of the neck and move them normally and there is no reason (in that file at least) why you shouldn't be able to do the same.

What happens when you try ?

CBR

AlexisB    1
  • Topic Author
  • i can move one selected vertex (1st image attached) after selecting it, but when i select more i can't move them (2nd pic attached).

Generally speaking, what i want to understand is how C4d treats these objects in terms of editing. For example in Adobe Illustrator you need to convert an image into a vector file so that you can fully edit it. Is there a similar understanding of this for these objects? Why are there limitations to editing for some objects and no limitations in editing for others like a cube shape for example?

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 4.15.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 4.16.01 PM.png

Cerbera    1,976
    11 minutes ago, AlexisB said:

Why are there limitations to editing for some objects and no limitations in editing for others like a cube shape for example?

You need an understanding of how 3D object hierarchy works.

Primitives (like the cube or any parametric object you initially create) are live-generated objects initially, and have parametric controls that allow you to change size and various other properties about them (some specific to each object type). But they are not yet polygon objects, so none of the polygon editing tools will work until it is made editable, which changes it into a polygon object, losing its parametric properties. 

Polygon objects are truly editable in every way, using the polygon tools.

Splines in Generators (lathe, loft, sweep etc) produce 'generated geometry', which again can't be edited with the poly tools until the object is made editable, which transforms it into a polygon object. Until that point you can still edit the spline itself and the properties of the generator, which is often helpful in animation.

CBR