Sign in to follow this  
Cerbera

Cerbera's Rockin' GIF Tips

I didn't even know there was such a thing as Spin Edge, never seen it in any tutorials, so yes, thank you!

• Topic Author
  • Time for another one I think. This time let's make a diamond-cut whiskey glass in just 23 easy steps :)

Whiskey_Glass.thumb.gif.6d0f82e4f800a719030188a4bd0d35aa.gif

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I'm on a roll tonight, so let's have a look at that timeless mystery classic, the SDS Helical Screw thread...

5a7e74f80787d_HelicalscrewCBR.thumb.gif.59790f8248d76108984bb853368dde49.gif

'n', in case you're wondering, can be any number you like.

CBR

very nice. keep them coming!  one suggestion: they are a little bit too fast i think, 1-2 seconds more per frame would help. 

Great stuff!

Brilliant, tho a bit fast for me too, and what is a "quad cap fill", used to close the bottom of the whiskey glass. I think its a circular patch made of quads, do you you just get a square plane and smooth it off with a brush for that or is there a trick to get a nice circle from a square ?

Much appreciated, just visualising topology is tricky for me, let alone building it.

Deck

Are the gifs downloadable ?.........Sweet, when I download and open on my mac, they open in preview with a page for each frame, Fantastic.

Thanks Cerbera

8 hours ago, deck said:

Brilliant, tho a bit fast for me too, and what is a "quad cap fill", used to close the bottom of the whiskey glass. I think its a circular patch made of quads, do you you just get a square plane and smooth it off with a brush for that or is there a trick to get a nice circle from a square ?

Much appreciated, just visualising topology is tricky for me, let alone building it.

Deck

Are the gifs downloadable ?.........Sweet, when I download and open on my mac, they open in preview with a page for each frame, Fantastic.

Thanks Cerbera

Quad cap fill is one of the tools available in HB MODELLING BUNDLE.

You have to pay for it. Unless someone here can point to a free alternative?

EDIT: some good tips from CBR, many of the methods (spin edge, screw thread,...) have been shown in Making it look great 11 : Hard surface modeling tactics for c4d

which I consider to be the best modelling tutorial for c4d and I've seen heaps of them - free and paid. This one, I never regret spending my money on it.

• Topic Author
  • 15 hours ago, deck said:

Yeah sorry @deck and @everfresh, they are a bit fast aren't they ? They seemed slower in the editor ! :) Will fix in later ones.

Yep - as @MJohnny said, that is a feature of HB modelling bundle, which I do have, but I meant it more generally - 'quad cap by any means you like' I should have said really... and yes, your suggested method is exactly how I would do that if I didn't have the HBMB !

CBR

Thanks guys for the tips re quad cap fill, I've used the smooth method but always feels a bit organic at time when your after precision.

Deck

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, deck said:

Thanks guys for the tips re quad cap fill, I've used the smooth method but always feels a bit organic at time when your after precision.

Deck

There are other ways of course that are more precise. Stitch'n'Sew, center slice and weld is a more defined way to quad cap things.

tidyquadcaps.thumb.jpg.42ef5a6221ae93147996e853f1ee3c3d.jpg

CBR

What a cool idea for a thread !

Liking your work.