Pucette

Learning character rigging and animation

Pucette    2

I need to create a simple animated character. I'm looking for complete and detailed tutorials that will get me through all the steps of Character rigging an animation. I've looked everywhere and could not find something detailed enough and from A to Z. I've even looked at Cineversity.com and nothing really interesting. I'm sure there's something out there. I'm willing to pay for it if necessary.

Thanks.

ABMotion    238

@HSrdelic I believe had a series a long time ago called Vertex Pusher Volume 3 for Character Rigging, so hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction for getting that if its still available.

An alternative is the Introduction to Character Rigging in CINEMA 4D by Pluralsight. You can get a 10 day/200 minute free trial, so it doesn't even have to cost anything if you choose: https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/introduction-char-rigging-cinema-4d-55

Rectro    677

If Cinevercity cant help, or be of interest then I wonder what it is of interest, and how deep you wish to go?  Do you want to rig at the same level as the Studio Advanced Biped.  If you also wanted to learn animation then thats another set of skills separate from rigging, both with take some time. 

Dan

Pucette    2
  • Topic Author
  • All I want is to learn how to rig a character and have it sit down for exemple. I need to know how to setup controls , weighing, etc so that I have a very easy and fluent control over the movement. Rigging is relatively easy now with CHARACTER and CMOTION. But animating is another thing.  There are so many techniques out there (including morph animation) and several Character rigging techniques, you get lost. 

Rectro    677

As your well aware it all starts with a very good quality model which has the loops in the right places.  The poly count needs to be just right neither too high or too low.  The joints needs to be put in the right place otherwise it still wont deform well.  These are things iv encountered, and still Im have so much to learn to nail it down all the time.  The controls are explained on Cinevercity, flabio rigging.  Your see that is about assigning  PSR constraints  from bones to splines that become the new root control for that bone.  The more complex things are foot rigs, eye rigs which are simple once you get that far.  2D vectors, , interactive tag via cinevercity script, user controls, morph targets are another aspect which is found on Cinevercity.

Rather than try to rig a whole character do what I done, rig something simple and add complexity to it adding the above mentioned.  I will eventually make a commercially sold DVD on this, but I need at least 2 more years to really nail it down until I would call my self a rigger, but Im pretty tough on myself as to the standards I  set myself.

• Awesome 1