Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

Onilgob    3

So a few weeks ago I had made a post (here) requesting some help with achieving a certain effect in the materials. Cerbera helped me out extensively with it, so I thought I'd be cool to come back and show what it was for.

Basically this was practice in taking something from a concept drawing/sketch, and successfully modelling it. The drawing came from a friend of mine, everything else is me with guidance from him. I would say that at this point it is 98% done. That last 2% is in corrections to little things like the top "emitter burn" looking a bit off and some things to do with the UV maps.

Here I present, the Static Beam Energy Saw

The vast majority, probably 90%, of the model is done with SDS modelling. Initially it took me only about 8 hours to do the entire thing, but after some feedback, nearly everything was remodeled. The polycount is a number I dont even want to say, making up a total of 410 objects not including instances under cloners and such.

I want to do a little animation of the beam activating (in 3D), but I have to still figure that out. The only thing I have that can possibly do this is TurbulenceFD.

Sequence_720p0008.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Static Beam Energy Saw_0005.jpg

Sequence_720p0006.jpg

Sequence_720p0001.jpg

Sequence_720p0004.jpg

• Like 1

StCanas    60

Nice model (interesting design and execution) and a good effort over all, but I think you need to put a little more work into the materials and especially into the wear and distressing. Go find as many examples of battered machinery as you can and take your cues from them. At the moment your distressing looks a little underworked. Here's an example of ageing/distressing I did some time back...

Gun.thumb.JPG.66bd067d8b3780d05990f2591b9f7f33.JPG

When I'm doing distressed textures I find 'grunge' textures online and incorporate those into my materials, working things up in Photoshop.

For the 'beam', which I take it is going to be a sort of plasma type beam, you might want to get out of C4D and just comp in some footage in 'post'. You'll find plenty of plasma beam type footage online (some free, some to pay for) and the general rule of thumb is, get out of your 3D app as soon as you can in the process. 3D is, generally speaking, a faff and there are often simpler ways of achieving exactly the same effect with much less hassle.

Onilgob    3
  • Topic Author
  • On 2/12/2018 at 12:40 AM, King of Snake said:

Good work! The warning label is nice touch ;)
    Of course you should really post some wireframes too!

I'm not sure how exactly everyone else produces such good looking wireframe renders. But here is one! Just did it in 'hardware' render.

Wireframe.thumb.jpg.ca65f8801348d5ac490685985e61bb05.jpg

Cerbera    1,976

I just print screen the viewport when I'm doing wireframes ! And have my Open GL AA set high on 16 for ultra silky smooth lines.

Now we can see the wires, it's not a bad job, and leagues above what you did the first time, so full marks for doing it again, but there is still room for improvement. For example it is possible to build this entirely from quads, and as it's being used with subdivision there is a reasonable argument that you should. However, this is a good example of just how forgiving of triangles the SDS algorithm in Cinema is on flat surfaces; as long as you are aware that this is not the case on curved surfaces, that's the main thing :)

CBR

Onilgob    3
  • Topic Author
  • 13 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Now we can see the wires, it's not a bad job, and leagues above what you did the first time, so full marks for doing it again, but there is still room for improvement.

Yeah, the mesh was pretty bad at the time. Especially if I wanted to do a proper UV mapping.

14 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

For example it is possible to build this entirely from quads, and as it's being used with subdivision there is a reasonable argument that you should. However, this is a good example of just how forgiving of triangles the SDS algorithm in Cinema is on flat surfaces; as long as you are aware that this is not the case on curved surfaces, that's the main thing :)

CBR

Admittedly, the mesh is not very clean, that's obvious, but triangles I try to avoid at all costs. After a brief inspection, I found only two triangles, and they have been corrected. That triangular shaped piece in fact is made up of quads, they just taper down dramatically.... unless I am misunderstanding "quads". It is a quad as long as there are 4 edges, correct? or does the polygon have to be equilateral to be defined as a quad?

From start to finish, this project alone has given me a lot of practice in many different skills and as a result I have improved dramatically. My next project I am going to share on here (in a new post, soon) start to finish, so I can get some much needed feedback during the project rather than afterwards.

Cerbera    1,976
    42 minutes ago, Onilgob said:

unless I am misunderstanding "quads". It is a quad as long as there are 4 edges, correct? or does the polygon have to be equilateral to be defined as a quad?

There are good quads and bad quads - unfortunately it is not true that any quad will do ;)

You should also seek to avoid concave, coplanar, and degenerated quads. Good quads are convex at every corner, that is to say no internal angle is greater than 180 degrees.

Here's a file I use with my modelling students to explain what these things are.

Only the green one below is any good - all the others have problems.

5a8333d3d06ed_Polygonerrors.thumb.jpg.377cfdd6feb1fbcb2fed46fd1f8f2e1f.jpg

Polygon Errors.c4d

CBR

• Like 1

Onilgob    3
  • Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

You should also seek to avoid concave, coplanar, and degenerated quads. Good quads are convex at every corner, that is to say no internal angle is greater than 180 degrees.

Oooh okay. So it is the angle of the corners that are important.

But now, lets say I have a quad that has an X of 100 and a Z of 200, all corners are 180 and is planar.. That is still considered a perfect quad?

And then there's triangular shaped things, like that part on my model, how do you handle something like that?

Cerbera    1,976
    8 minutes ago, Onilgob said:

That is still considered a perfect quad?

Yes. Just not a regular quad, which is square.

8 minutes ago, Onilgob said:

And then there's triangular shaped things, like that part on my model, how do you handle something like that?

You solve them to quads. I can't possibly teach that skill in a forum post I'm afraid but I can show you how to subdivide a triangle into 3 equal quads. That's done like this.

triquads.thumb.jpg.06d77669c72a47719ee5d2f06ecc084f.jpg

The difficulty of course is preserving the surrounding topology if it doesn't allow you to cut the triangle like this. then you need to solve it a different way, but unfortunately, it's this sort of skill that takes years of doing it every day to develop.

CBR

Onilgob    3
  • Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yes. Just not a regular quad, which is square.

Ah, Okay. It just seems unnecessary to make all them all regular polygons if there is no need to. I feel like that can, in the long run, produce insane poly-counts. Don't get me wrong, I am okay with that, I am not trying to do game assets. it just seems so wasteful in my mind : )

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

triquads.thumb.jpg.06d77669c72a47719ee5d2f06ecc084f.jpg

So, in a situation like that, you're just going to have acute/obtuse angles?

Cerbera    1,976
    59 minutes ago, Onilgob said:

So, in a situation like that, you're just going to have acute/obtuse angles?

No, a kite shaped poly is totally fine - it's still convex, by which I mean not concave, coplanar, it is not degenerated, and none of its internal angles exceed 180 degrees, so nothing wrong there.

CBR

Monstrphil    23

Great Job! Reminiscent of the cutting torch in Dead Space. I agree with @StCanas, even though you have scratches-there is no oil or dirt or stains. You would think that if equipment has that many scratches-it would have stains and dents.

Also-where is @VECTOR? Our Quad Inquisitor seems to be laying down on the job....................