• Topic Author
  • 36 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

No, a kite shaped poly is totally fine - it's still convex, by which I mean not concave, coplanar, it is not degenerated, and none of its internal angles exceed 180 degrees, so nothing wrong there.

CBR

omg. I don't know how I misread those replies so horribly that I was comprehending 90 degrees instead of 180. So much confusion cleared up now.

3 minutes ago, Monstrphil said:

Great Job! Reminiscent of the cutting torch in Dead Space. I agree with @StCanas, even though you have scratches-there is no oil or dirt or stains. You would think that if equipment has that many scratches-it would have stains and dents.

Also-where is @VECTOR? Our Quad Inquisitor seems to be laying down on the job....................

Sorry , i've be away on official quad police business, on the other side of the galaxy.

• Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, Monstrphil said:

Great Job! Reminiscent of the cutting torch in Dead Space. I agree with @StCanas, even though you have scratches-there is no oil or dirt or stains.

Agh, well materials and texture are 100% my weakest thing right now. No joke, I only figure out how to even do UVW mapping about 3 months ago. I have been doing purely modelling for basically the entirety of my C4D life. This aircraft/spaceship fighter was my first successfully textured model... and that wasn't even my intention when I started it. It was rigging, modelling, and Xpresso practice all rolled into one.

Eagle_REWORK24-2.thumb.png.4e1671f21678b6e435c0e1a594d3fb42.png

17 minutes ago, Monstrphil said:

there is no oil or dirt or stains. You would think that if equipment has that many scratches-it would have stains and dents.

So, there are a few things happening, including my relatively new experiences with materials. Primarily, the quality of its rendered image dropped so dramatically that I found it awful looking. I still have to figure out how to make it look good. Then there's the whole "operated in space" (I think I failed to mention this) thing that makes me want to keep it relatively oil free. Heck, when I worked in a steel shop where there was dirt and oil everywhere, there were pretty rarely tools that had oil all over it. It was generally preferable to really not have that goin on. The only guy that had super oily gear was (naturally) the shop mechanic. So I kind of have a little disagreement with the whole concept of making the tools really grungy. The example that StCanas provided I found to be way too heavy.

The web searches I do for "used" or "weathered" tools I personally find to be very unrealistic and much more artistic in nature. It bugs me. I like looking at the tools I still have as reference. idk, maybe I have not been searching with the right keywords.

But, anyways! I do agree nonetheless that I do need to have something more. Dents, some dirt/light rust on the guards, etc. The huge side-guard actually has absolutely no weathering on it. I just haven't gotten around to doing it.