I've had to stay home since my daughter has the flu and watch hours of some series on Netflix about Lego Ninjas (what a dad has to do.). Then I saw some scene of a floating island, got out my laptop and started to create.

The structure is something I found on DAZ and the trees are Lauberwerks.  Rendered with Corona.  The water shader on the pound doesn't look right, may work on that a bit.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, outside of being board.  I guess I could watch the Olympics once she falls asleep,

I have been using Redshift a lot lately, but for whatever reason, Corona looked a lot better.  The latest beta version is amazing and I'm certain that I will be purchasing it when it comes out.  The render quality is comparable to Maxwell, but at least 10 times the speed (even when I render Maxwell in GPU.)

Mark

SkyIsland Far

SkyIsland Front

SkyIsland Front Close

SkyIsland Far Right

• Awesome 1

Well, those are pretty bloody top notch, my friend :) 3rd shot particularly is exceptional.

Initially I was going to say that I didn't think the far shot rock was looking correctly scaled and was very bright, but by god how things improve when we move in !!! Lovely work. You almost had me thinking that was a photo for a second there !

Can I see a seam in the sky in that last one though ? :)

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Just now, Cerbera said:

Well, those are pretty bloody top notch, my friend :)

Initially I was going to say that I didn't think the far shot rock was looking correctly scaled and was very bright, but by god how things improve when we move in !!! Lovely work. You almost had me thinking that was a photo for a second there !

Can I see a seam in the sky in that last one though ? :)

CBR

Thank you, it always means a lot when you like something!  Yes, the HDRI is some crappy file I found online.  All my good HDRIs have ground and my daughter insisted that there only be clouds.  So I could only find some low res jpeg.  

Mark

Yes, the close in shots are pretty impressive. Lighting in particular works really well. I would, though, look to make that retaining wall at the edges of the garden a little less perfect. It's not up to the high standard of the rest of it. Looks quite CGI.

The first shot I'm not so keen on. The floating rock itself is not good enough to keep up with the good work you've done elsewhere. Perhaps look at the floating mountains in Avatar for some reference.

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, StCanas said:

Yes, the close in shots are pretty impressive. Lighting in particular works really well. I would, though, look to make that retaining wall at the edges of the garden a little less perfect. It's not up to the high standard of the rest of it. Looks quite CGI.

The first shot I'm not so keen on. The floating rock itself is not good enough to keep up with the good work you've done elsewhere. Perhaps look at the floating mountains in Avatar for some reference.

Thanks!  You know, watching Avatar is a good idea.  I haven't seen that in a while and I understand that there are at least two more coming out over the next few years.  A good time to refresh my memory to get ready.  And take a closer look at the floating islands.

My wife said the same thing about the wall.  I should listen to her more (I hope she doesn't read this!). It would be easy to switch the rocks to the ones I used elsewhere.  I wanted the rocks to be smoother because it is near the water, but just don't seem to work, does it.

I may tweak or create a new shader for the rock material on the main island.  Working on this is a lot more fun than the crime scene recreations I have to do (those get pretty depressing.)

Mark

19 hours ago, lopakam said:

Working on this is a lot more fun than the crime scene recreations I have to do (those get pretty depressing.)

Wow, that's what you do for a living? Very interesting... though I can see how it could become depressing. And you use C4D in the process?

• Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, StCanas said:

Wow, that's what you do for a living? Very interesting... though I can see how it could become depressing. And you use C4D in the process?

That's part of what I do.  I manage thousands of computers, about 80 severs, two SANs, networking, and voice communication for a government agency based in Chicago.  The C4D work is on the side.  Kind of fell into it.  I did a presentation at work and one of our attorneys saw it and asked if I would help one of his friends out with a case.  They needed to recreate an incident in a classroom.  They were struggling with SketchUP and it looked like .  I was busy at the time, but offered to help anyway.  Well, that caught on like wild fire.  

Most of the work is for civil suits, occasionally wrongful death.  While the animation is simple, the scenes need to be exact.  This is for two reasons: 1) to accurately recreate what happened, and 2) the scene needs to look exactly like the photos or the jury will not believe  the accuracy of the recreation (since they are comparing it to the photos in their minds.) A lot of archviz.

That is how I became familiar with DAZ.  They have so many customizable characters that easily import into C4D.  Everything is done in C4D, except for creating the people and occasionally other assets.

The deaths are depressing, the other stuff is aggravating.  For example, I cannot tell you how many people think they are the first one to come up with the idea of slipping on a grape in a grocery store.  Sometimes it's rewarding when we find something new in the recreations, but that's not often.

I have worked on 34 cases over the years.  The money is OK, but the attorneys  are picky.  I could finish a scene in about two or three nights, but then spend weeks tweaking it for them.

We have a lot of manufacturing in Chicago so much if it is industrial incidents.  The one I will be working on next is a guy who slipped on a polymer.  IOR will be big on that one!

Mark

• Topic Author
  • Based on the suggestions, I changed the HDRI, modified the rocks on the retaining wall, created a new shader for the island, and created a new shader for the water in the pond.  Thanks for everyones suggestions!

Mark

SkyIsland Far v2

SkyIsland Front v2

SkyIsland Front Close v2

SkyIsland Far Right v2

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, lopakam said:

That's part of what I do.  I manage thousands of computers, about 80 severs, two SANs, networking, and voice communication for a government agency based in Chicago.  The C4D work is on the side.  Kind of fell into it.  I did a presentation at work and one of our attorneys saw it and asked if I would help one of his friends out with a case.  They needed to recreate an incident in a classroom.  They were struggling with SketchUP and it looked like .  I was busy at the time, but offered to help anyway.  Well, that caught on like wild fire.  

Most of the work is for civil suits, occasionally wrongful death.  While the animation is simple, the scenes need to be exact.  This is for two reasons: 1) to accurately recreate what happened, and 2) the scene needs to look exactly like the photos or the jury will not believe  the accuracy of the recreation (since they are comparing it to the photos in their minds.) A lot of archviz.

That is how I became familiar with DAZ.  They have so many customizable characters that easily import into C4D.  Everything is done in C4D, except for creating the people and occasionally other assets.

The deaths are depressing, the other stuff is aggravating.  For example, I cannot tell you how many people think they are the first one to come up with the idea of slipping on a grape in a grocery store.  Sometimes it's rewarding when we find something new in the recreations, but that's not often.

I have worked on 34 cases over the years.  The money is OK, but the attorneys  are picky.  I could finish a scene in about two or three nights, but then spend weeks tweaking it for them.

We have a lot of manufacturing in Chicago so much if it is industrial incidents.  The one I will be working on next is a guy who slipped on a polymer.  IOR will be big on that one!

Mark

I've been coming to The Cafe for many years now and that might be the most interesting use of C4D I've come across so far!

The rock on the bottom of the island looks much better now.

All of this is impressive (feel bad for the pitiful time after work I spend on C4d). The one thing that blows me away is the grass......and the patchiness of the front yard. The variation of the grass is really nice as well. It's usually the small things that distract my eye.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Monstrphil said:

All of this is impressive (feel bad for the pitiful time after work I spend on C4d). The one thing that blows me away is the grass......and the patchiness of the front yard. The variation of the grass is really nice as well. It's usually the small things that distract my eye.

I like the small details a lot too.  But I'll let you in on a very simple secret I found doing the grass.  It is SO simple.  A few years back, I needed some animated trees and stumbled across 3DQuakers Forester.  In there they have grass as well.  All I did was to put a dirt shader on the plane, added the grass to the plane using their MultiCloner, but changed the amount to put on there until it was "patchy"enough.  The materials they include need to be adjusted because it looks too CG.  So I added a filter, adjusted the Hue to make it more yellow, and then added reflection with an IOR of 1.43.  The trees in this scene are Laubwerks, but I used C4D's cloner to distribute them and randomize the size and rotation.  The Laubwerk trees work right out of the box, the Forester trees and plants need some help.  But I strongly recommend Forester, they did a great job with this plugin.  The Forester plugin also has a rock creator.  I used that to create the rocks.  Flat ones for the walk, and rounder ones every where else.  I then used the C4D cloner to distribute them everywhere but the path.  I used Forester's MultiCloner spline mode to place them on the path.  That is it, simple!

Mark