Dannyx

Closing hole in round object

Good day folks. Pretty simple task at hand here, but it's not quite going how I want it to. I modeled the pipe in the picture and need to close off one end...sounds simple, but can't find a way to do it "perfectly". This goes for every other round object which I need to cap off - I get wildly different results depending on which tool I use but none seem to give me that clean look. I always end up with at least a triangle which we don't want. Close polygon hole doesn't seem to work for some reason: I don't get the white preview when I hover over the hole or around it...I'm either doing something wrong or it can't do that there.

Stich and sew seems to get me the closest to what I want: I selected the inner edges, held down SHIFT and dragged across, from one side of the edge to the other.

Hole2.thumb.png.8f04c8426fdcdaf8c88521b2ecf5b9f2.png

It's all triangles now, but going to "untriangulate" seems to solve the issue to a degree, as there's still one triangle it can't eliminate.

Untr.thumb.png.f3be08ef395558a29b30f0537f897147.png

Another uneducated guess is that when I originally created the object I should've set an odd/even number of faces. In this case it's odd: 9, don't know if that's an issue or not. I imagine there SHOULD be a way around this, right, because what if you discover you've created an object with an incorrect number of faces only after you're done modelling it ? I fear this may be my case, since I created another shape which has a hole either end which needs to be capped off in the same manner and I fear I may have to tear it all down and rebuild it from scratch which would be a disaster.... It can't come down to just that and have to do the whole thing over, can it ? :))

I'm sure it's something really simple, but I've been facing it a lot lately and need to find a fix. Cheers and thanks for any help.

Hole.png

Well, you cannot create a perfect quad cap on anything with an uneven number of sides, so you're going wrong from the start there.

However, your methodology is fine, and were this an 8 sided cylinder, what are you doing would work fine and give a perfectly acceptable all quads cap.

However there is a second problem. You are not capping a cylinder, you are capping a tube, so you can't just fill in the hole because that will create internal geometry which is another cardinal modelling error. So to fill this correctly you need to create an inside end and an outside end. like so.. (I'll be back with a picture, so refresh this in a bit...)

CBR

Or do it properly with quads like this ;)

tubecap.thumb.jpg.eca651c808b8dd2d006ad59124d2d27a.jpg

2 valid ways of quad capping there, one done with bridge tool, and the other done using Connect command.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Yeah, it all comes down to the number of faces apparently, since I tried it myself with an object with an even number and it worked even before posting, so I just want to see if there's a way around it, since I don't feel like doing all that work again :)) The pipe is just a sub-piece of a larger model so to say, and the model itself suffers from this. I got a nice loop going all the way around (so it's "hollow" in the middle like you guys taught me everything should be), but I ran into this....one step forward and two steps back :))

12 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Or do it properly with quads like this ;)

tubecap.thumb.jpg.eca651c808b8dd2d006ad59124d2d27a.jpg

2 valid ways of quad capping there, one done with bridge tool, and the other done using Connect command.

CBR

Yes, you can quad it out if you want to. Depends how important the end of that pipe is in the great scheme of things. If the end of the pipe is not getting any attention in the final work, don't sweat it just because that's considered 'good form'.

RULE 234: Unless you have a specific reason to choose otherwise, always choose a number of segments that is divisible by 2, 3 and 4. So, after 8, which doesn't follow that rule and is an exception, this series looks like 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 72 etc.

That way you will always have a most widely useful topology with which to create your forms and you will always be able to solve to quads, which, whilst it might not always be necessary, is almost always preferable and a better job.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • ****..too bad there's no way around it now. The small pipe model is fine, since I'm just getting started on it, so it's not a problem to start from scratch. The real problem is the main model which is the same thing basically (started off as an extruded disc) but with many other extrusions and edges and stuff to it...if only there were a way to make a 9-sided object into a 10-sided one....which there IS (loop-cut straight through it), but I haven't tried it yet to see if I can "cheat" that way......probably not, it will mess thing up I reckon

Edited by Cerbera
    Expletive removed. Family friendly forum - no swears please.

1 minute ago, Dannyx said:

probably not

Not indeed. If you cut in a new edge you'll break the subdivision rounding because it won't be even with the other edges.

If you had HB Modelling bundle you could sort that out, but not without it.

CBR

46 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

RULE 234: Unless you have a specific reason to choose otherwise, always choose a number of segments that is divisible by 2, 3 and 4. So, after 8, which doesn't follow that rule and is an exception, this series looks like 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 72 etc.

That way you will always have a most widely useful topology with which to create your forms and you will always be able to solve to quads, which, whilst it might not always be necessary, is almost always preferable and a better job.

CBR

DON'T FORGET RULE NUMBER 235 ALSO!

13 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

DON'T FORGET RULE NUMBER 235 ALSO!

Rule 235, "Don't model naked" ? Not sure how that's relevant here - we're not even using displacement !

CBR

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Rule 235, "Don't model naked" ? Not sure how that's relevant here - we're not using displacement !

CBR

No that's 236, 235 is " Never turn your back on a triangle, they'll stab you in your sleep, stabby stabby stabby stab stab stab....stab