I have a simple box I need to add thickness too, its going to be a acrylic case for a display

i tried extruding but my polys go haywire

I added an example screen shot and my file

thansk Dave

acrylic box.c4d

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 10.14.47 AM.jpg

Admin stuff first - please update your profile - 16 demo expired 3 years ago, so it can't be that...

Anyway on to your problems...

Unfortunately this has been built without any regard for polygon modelling rules. None of the tools that could add thickness here will work with a mesh full of ngons like this. You need to connect edges so that you turn ngons into quads (4 sided polys), like so. You can do this with the line cut tool.

This is one option for what the end of it could look like, and when it does, extrude will work.

quadbox.thumb.jpg.c06b8f257fed0a9335cc5e7b53014758.jpg

CBR

• Like 1

I'd copy paste what you have then scale it right moving the scaling axis so that it stays at the opening of the lid.  After scaling combined the two meshes and bridge the gap between them.

As cerbera suggested, put the cuts in then extrude, no need to leave big fat ngons in a mesh like that for no reason, whether its on a flat surface or not 

• Like 1

Yep, never leave ngons in a mesh - they are, at the end of the day, modelling mistakes, and leaving them there not only hampers (and in some cases cripples) your future polygon operations on the mesh, but it also forms bad habits, and leads to lazy, slap-dash modelling technique.

CBR

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Admin stuff first - please update your profile - 16 demo expired 3 years ago, so it can't be that...

Anyway on to your problems...

Unfortunately this has been built without any regard for polygon modelling rules. None of the tools that could add thickness here will work with a mesh full of ngons like this. You need to connect edges so that you turn ngons into quads (4 sided polys), like so. You can do this with the line cut tool.

This is one option for what the end of it could look like, and when it does, extrude will work.

quadbox.thumb.jpg.c06b8f257fed0a9335cc5e7b53014758.jpg

CBR

Hmm, I can extrude this without any problem just using the extrude tool with a max. angle of 90 degrees.

17 minutes ago, Wouter said:

Hmm, I can extrude this without any problem just using the extrude tool with a max. angle of 90 degrees.

Yep so can I, but it doesn't solve the greater problem, which is what I was trying to address in my post. It just moves the ngon problem further down the line. I'm trying to show people how to model properly, so I'd rather give them pertinent advice that applies to all models and general workflow rather than telling them how to circumvent the modelling rules to get a quick result with this one mesh... 

CBR