doughaddy    0

Hey C4D gurus, I'm hoping someone can help with the creation of mountain contours. I've seen this discussed elsewhere but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Here's the other video, which uses sketch and toon to create mountain contours: 

Very cool but not quite what I want to do... I need to have contours with no background because I'll be showing where the metals (gold, copper, etc.) lie, in addition to models of tunnels, etc. within the mountain model. 

Was thinking I could intersect some planes with the mountain model and where the intersection occurs that would become one of the contours, but I can 't think of how to do that. Any help would be highly appreciated! 

Thanks!

ABMotion    212

One method for doing this is to use a Voronoi Fracture. You can place a Plane with Width Segments of 1 and Height of as many as required for the lines and drag that as the Source for the Voronoi Fracture and change Creation Method to Edge Centers. You can the make it editable or change the geometry on the Plane differently to what I've shown to match what you need i.e. Random height segments etc. Experiment from this starting point. This is obviously just one example that shows the method:

voronoi-fracture-landscape.thumb.png.63c6b8257973ba4679c04302a43d2993.png

Alternatively, EJ created another video that shows an alternative for a Topographic Map that might be suitable:

• Like 1

doughaddy    0
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for the reply... I'm not sure I understand the solution proposed but would it be able to create something along the lines of this (IE like sweeped splines): 

2018-02-04_Florida_sat_with_contours0286.png

ABMotion    212

Either way could produce your desired results. If you just need splines, EJ's method is the easiest, but if you need colored sections/blocks that identify where different layers lie as you stated in your original post like gold, copper etc., the method using Voronoi Fracture will be the easiest as you effectively have the layers already created. As stated, you may need to alter the Plane geometry to get the sections as required.

doughaddy    0
  • Topic Author
  • Got it now, thanks! EJ's knife trick works great. Just what I was looking for... 

Thanks a bunch!