Jump to content

Stargate Redux


Domglino

Recommended Posts

loving your work so far ,looking at the reference photo earlier the gate symbols seem more a part of the gate,those seem a little stuck on , im sure ive seen a boolean plugin that solves this by welding the two objects together, i know you are trying to keep it boolean free ;-) i just dont know to what level of realism you are going for on this. also the leaf shaped decorations near the outer part of ring seem to be very flat edged, where the photo they seem to be fairly rounded, however this might look better when textured or with a bit of AO applied? cant wait to see next stage man

Link to post
14 hours ago, caliburn said:

loving your work so far ,looking at the reference photo earlier the gate symbols seem more a part of the gate,those seem a little stuck on , im sure ive seen a boolean plugin that solves this by welding the two objects together

Yes, Currently they are just floating geometry. I had just finished making all the symbols' paths and put them all in an extrude for the moment. I'm still trying to figure out how I can possibly get the patience to model all 39+3 symbols. As for this boolean plugin you mentioned, I wouldn't mind giving it a try if you show it to me. My issue with booleans is the horrendous mess it makes of the mesh. I used to live by that dang tool. These days I can't stand having my models topology being in such a state anymore. Everything has to be clean.

 

14 hours ago, caliburn said:

also the leaf shaped decorations near the outer part of ring seem to be very flat edged, where the photo they seem to be fairly rounded

Ooph, man. Dont get me started on those damn "leaf" engravings. I can't for the life of me get them the way I want them to look (These are the things I was referring to previously when I said "a lot of the details are beyond my current capability"). I would absolutely love to get it to look like it does on the actual prop. For now I have settled with this. Just like when I redid those Squares, I am hoping the idea comes to me later and then I can go back and redo it... unless someone here can help me out and point me in the right direction...

 

Thanks for the feedback!

 

Edit: I figured it out (the leaves). It really was pretty easy, I just was being a little dumb with how I was approaching it.

SG2018_027.thumb.jpg.a61f192477748e2777735407eb1b80c3.jpg

Edited by Onilgob
Link to post
On 3/13/2018 at 9:52 AM, Onilgob said:

Ooph, man. Dont get me started on those damn "leaf" engravings. I can't for the life of me get them the way I want them to look (These are the things I was referring to previously when I said "a lot of the details are beyond my current capability"). I would absolutely love to get it to look like it does on the actual prop. For now I have settled with this. Just like when I redid those Squares, I am hoping the idea comes to me later and then I can go back and redo it... unless someone here can help me out and point me in the right direction...

 

 

by complete coincidence i was watching sg1 last night and my eyes caught the title sequence again and i think the leaf engravings seem to be a straight chamfer? which should be less taxing to do at least :-) 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

ABOUT US

We are dedicated Cinema 4D Community of friendly and passionate artists, hobbyists and developers. Feel free to join us to share your knowledge, your art and anything that might help Community to grow. We are providing guidance, free plugins and files, feedback, sponsorships and various discounts for our Contributors and much more. :cowboypistol:

×
×
  • Create New...

Copyright C4D Cafe © 2021 Powered by Invision Community