Sign in to follow this  
Push

1st render in Redshift

This is my first attempt at Redshift, really speedy.

Not sure this image really does Redshift justice, it doesn't look quite right, probably needs some dirt/ambient occlusion.

What do you think?

5a87f77d29792_Commercial20181v2.thumb.jpg.625bbdc7583bad85d8c12fbf888b45d3.jpg

That's terrible bathroom design :)

But it's a nice clean, pleasing render. You're right - needs some real-world filth, but apart from that, looking good !

CBR

It’s a decent first pass. I agree that right now all the surfaces look too perfect, which breaks the realism. Needs more rounded edges, more dirt, more bump, more irregularity. You don’t necessarily need textures. You can most likely do it all procedurally with AO, curvature, and noise nodes. 

Also it seems to be mostly front lit, which usually flattens things and makes them look even more unreal. 

The great thing about Redshift: it’s so fast, you can continue iterating and figuring out what works / what doesn’t without it taking forever. So you’ll get more comfortable with it quickly.  

You should visit the Redshift club here. There’s a lot of information that should help get you on the right track. 

Am I correct in reading the product page to mean that after paying for a permanent license there's a $250 yearly maintenance fee that, if not paid, the software will not function?

Or does the product page mean that keeping the maintenance current means you'll be able to use any new version but if you don't paythe maintenance fee you'll still be able to use the version you bought.

7 minutes ago, arail said:

Or does the product page mean that keeping the maintenance current means you'll be able to use any new version but if you don't paythe maintenance fee you'll still be able to use the version you bought.

Redshift licenses are permanent so the license itself does not expire. You just can't get updates after the expiration date of any maintenance agreement.

Thanks for the quick reply

• Topic Author
  • Yeah, the bathroom design is awful, besides, there's a massive hole in the wall ;)

Thanks for the replies, I'm working on the AO & noise now

• Topic Author
  • Well I'm struggling to make a real difference with AO, I cant get it to"hug" closely to the objects, it appears too spread out or not at all, I've added it to the asphalt, the bricks and also the metal front of the building. The asphalt has a bit of noise added too.

On the bricks, it almost fills the wall whereas I'd like it just to skirt the bottom.

image.thumb.png.c6fa4ab19deb23bd7cb1b391d9839da2.png  image.thumb.png.a53ef6e4fcc575b60561c24aa864cb04.png

5a8ab98557090_Commercial20181v3.thumb.jpg.c0cdb9f91d2e9787c8e84fbc84fc5872.jpg

I'm obviously missing something, any ideas?

did you watch that tutorial by chad from gsg where he textures that mech? if not i recommend watching it, he also shows how to use the AO shader for dirt. 

also he shows how to do edge wear using the curvature shader in combination with noise.

https://greyscalegorilla.com/tutorials/redshift-for-cinema-4d-creating-a-weathered-mech-material/

• Topic Author
  • Yep, I've watched the Chad video, I think it must be something else I'm doing wrong. 

I've isolated the models and copied them to a new file, this is what I eventually got:

image.thumb.png.0885d00480b325e8d52f91e98f2dabe7.png

So I copied the texture back to the original and this happened:

image.thumb.png.e655fff6198f8734396fdd2076e90548.png

that seems odd. render settings are the same in each file? what happens if you copy everything to a new file?

• Topic Author
  • If I take the asphalt ground away (a big flat cube) and a model nearby, it's much better. It looks like the AO is being sampled from the whole of the scene rather than just locally.