Jump to content

Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 



lopakam

Abandoned road in the Great Lakes Area

Recommended Posts

lopakam    56

Just killing some time until my next project starts in three days.  This is a scene of a typical warm fall day in the Great Lakes that I would see while out hunting.  This could be anywhere in Northern Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.  Rendered with Corona.  The scene only took a couple of hours to create, but the shader for the road took more than that.  Can't seem to get that shader to look the way I want.  It's composed of many layers.  The trees are Laubwerks, the other plants are a combination of XFrog and Forester.

 

Mark

 

RuralRoad5-1av2

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

everfresh    334

nice render. what was the render time on this? the scale seems to be off somehow though, the road looks like it's only like 5 ft wide. also the grass looks a bit blurry/pixelated/jittery..  don't know how else to describe it ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lopakam    56
  • Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, everfresh said:

    nice render. what was the render time on this? the scale seems to be off somehow though, the road looks like it's only like 5 ft wide. also the grass looks a bit blurry/pixelated/jittery..  don't know how else to describe it ;)

    Thank you.  I went way over the needed passes with 250.  I set up the render and went out to dinner.  I had three MacPros Team Rendering for one hour and 18 minutes.  I'm sure 40-50 passes would have been enough.  Maybe even 20 with denoising The scale does seem strange.  I think because I set the lens to wide angle to make it seem larger.  I may have been better off to use telephoto and move the camera back to compress the distance, but that may make the scene look smaller.  The road may also look small because the lines might be too big on the shader.  I should have made the lines smaller.

     

    Mark

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Cerbera    1,973

    Nice scene :) And props to you for the sheer amount of vegetation going on !

     

    But the road surface looks wrong to me, not just the scale of the lines, but also its general colour, which is a very uniform grey with only the odd splotches of darkness and not much in the way of texture, in sharp contrast to everything else, which has loads ! So I think that could do with a revisit. About those lines; I'd be very surprised if that road was sufficiently neglected to get that overgrown but the lines were still perfect ! Is this the type of road that would even have lines ?! ;)

     

    Also everything in this is sharply in focus (and possibly oversharpened in places ?) from foreground to backdrop which is disconcerting - some natural / subtle DoF would go a long way here...

     

    CBR

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    lopakam    56
  • Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, Cerbera said:

    Nice scene :) And props to you for the sheer amount of vegetation going on !

     

    But the road surface looks wrong to me, not just the scale of the lines, but also its general colour, which is a very uniform grey with only the odd splotches of darkness and not much in the way of texture, in sharp contrast to everything else, which has loads ! So I think that could do with a revisit. About those lines; I'd be very surprised if that road was sufficiently neglected to get that overgrown but the lines were still perfect ! Is this the type of road that would even have lines ?! ;)

     

    Also everything in this is sharply in focus (and possibly oversharpened in places ?) from foreground to backdrop which is disconcerting - some natural / subtle DoF would go a long way here...

     

    CBR

    Well, you are of course right.  I added a slight DOF (may need more), worked more on the shader for the road, and added a LUT.  A road like this would most likely not have lines (as you pointed out) but I need this shader for a future project so I thought that I would work on it for this.  Again, thanks for everyones suggestions!

     

    Mark

     

    RuralRoad6v1

     

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    lopakam    56
  • Topic Author
  • I made a two last changes.  I added three different trees and changed some rocks.  While looking at the last image, something seemed wrong.  So I pulled up some photos I took in October and realized that there are many different trees in the woods.  It's hard to tell in the summer because they are all green.  But the different trees become visible in the fall with the varying colors of the leaves.

     

    Mark

     

    RuralRoad7v1

     

    • Like 3

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    StCanas    60

    If the vegetation is encroaching to that degree on the sides of the road then it's also going to be breaking through the road surface in a lot of places. With encroachment just on the sides, it's rather unnatural the way that nature is reclaiming the road space. Also, the road needs to look as if it's seen some wear and tear from traffic. Pretty nice image aside from that.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    everfresh    334
    15 hours ago, lopakam said:

    I made a two last changes.  I added three different trees and changed some rocks.  While looking at the last image, something seemed wrong.  So I pulled up some photos I took in October and realized that there are many different trees in the woods.  It's hard to tell in the summer because they are all green.  But the different trees become visible in the fall with the varying colors of the leaves.

     

    Mark

     

    RuralRoad7v1

     

    i think the one before looked better. on this one the left side of the image looks now confusing to me. i had a hard time to read the trees shapes in the foreground, especially with that tiny slim tree, which crown kinda merges with the bigger one behind it. also the trees in the distance seem too saturated to my eye.

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    muratz    0

    Very nice job. I want to say some words on it.
    The last changes on trees are not better than old, in my opinion. It's given a sharp, posterized look. Now my advices:
    * If you add some little bendings and distortions on the road,

    *If you add some big bendings and distortions on the hedges,

    *If you use much more blurry back view (higher amount of DOF)

    this part will look more realistic and nice. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    natevplas    56

    Nice work so far!  I think the biggest problem right now is the lighting.  It's very frontal and high in the sky, giving the whole scene a flat, washed-out look.  Bring the sun around to act as more of a back light or side light.  Second, your leaf shaders need some work.  Right now, every leaf on each tree is the exact same color, and many of your trees in the background are the exact same (and overly saturated, I think).  They will need some translucency too, especially when you adjust the lighting.  Third, the scale is still wrong.  Your road looks like a 5 foot wide path because of the scale of the grass and dandelions.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    lopakam    56
  • Topic Author
  • 5 minutes ago, natevplas said:

    Nice work so far!  I think the biggest problem right now is the lighting.  It's very frontal and high in the sky, giving the whole scene a flat, washed-out look.  Bring the sun around to act as more of a back light or side light.  Second, your leaf shaders need some work.  Right now, every leaf on each tree is the exact same color, and many of your trees in the background are the exact same (and overly saturated, I think).  They will need some translucency too, especially when you adjust the lighting.  Third, the scale is still wrong.  Your road looks like a 5 foot wide path because of the scale of the grass and dandelions.

    Thanks you.  I haven't looked at this for a while because I'm now knee-deep in an insane project with a deadline that is keeping me up all night.  But looking at it now, I can defiantly see that the scale is way off.  Something that I really didn't notice when working on it.  The scale of the road is correct, but the grass and weeds are way too big, just like you said.  

     

    I have spent many many years as an amateur nature/landscape photographer and was always working with the "magic hour."   It's interesting that I did not consider this when setting up the lighting in the scene.  Changing the time of day is easy on this scene because I did not use an HDRI - just used the built in sun.  When I am done with the project I'm doing now (which is as boring as hell) I may come back to this and make a few adjustments.  

     

    Finally, the trees.  Last fall I scanned some leaves from a maple tree in my backyard and created a great tree with a lot of different leaves.  I may replace the maples in the scene with my tree, just not sure about the render times (because the tree was designed for close up and I used high res scans.)  Worth a try.  The tree I made was done in Forester, which is a MUST for anyone using trees.

     

    The funny thing about this was the road.  I did this scene to get the road shader ready for the project I'm doing now, but ended up doing the project in Redshift!  All that was for nothing.  I had to spend hours recreating the road in Redshift.  

     

    Again, thank you for taking the time to look at it and commenting!

     

    Mark

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    natevplas    56

    No problem!  I was actually going to recommend Redshift for the translucency of the leaves, but for some reason assumed you didn't have it (when I could have just looked at your profile info).  I pretty much abandoned the built-in render engines in C4D after switching to Octane and then RS.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×