Reflection material text black render

Angelaa

I tried to make a metallic text but my reflection material doesn't want to work. It just renders black, even if I add some lights to the scene.

I was realy supriesed when I haven't found any good tutorials for this basic thing, so I opened this topic to gain more experience about this reflection thing.

Can anyone look into my .c4d please ?

test.c4d

What have you put in the scene that can reflect in your text ? Lights won't do it unless they are Area lights with 'show in reflection' ticked in the details tab. But the easiest way to get good reflections is to add a sky object and apply an HDRI to it. You can hide that from camera by adding a composting tag and unchecking 'seen by camera'.

There are actually hundreds of tutorials about this ! Search for 'c4d reflectance' to find them all...

CBR

On 2018. 02. 21. at 10:30 PM, Cerbera said:

What have you put in the scene that can reflect in your text ? Lights won't do it unless they are Area lights with 'show in reflection' ticked in the details tab. But the easiest way to get good reflections is to add a sky object and apply an HDRI to it. You can hide that from camera by adding a composting tag and unchecking 'seen by camera'.

There are actually hundreds of tutorials about this ! Search for 'c4d reflectance' to find them all...

CBR

Thank you for the reply !  I added a sky with HDRI (luminance channel), but why I can't change my text color ? and can somebody please recommend me a good reflection material settings for HDRI ? 

27 minutes ago, Angelaa said:

When I add light to my scene all of my objects goint to be darker instead of lighter. lmao

That's just the viewport, because when you add a light to the scene, the default light, which was illuminating everything evenly before you did that, gets turned off.

On 22/02/2018 at 9:49 PM, Angelaa said:

but why I can't change my text color ?

Presumably because you haven't watched any of the tutorials I recommended last time ;) Had you done so, you would know about reflectance base layers, and how to change the colour of those. Watch this video !

CBR

57 minutes ago, Angelaa said:

When I add light to my scene all of my objects goint to be darker instead of lighter. lmao

Lights will only make a scene darker if you don't have them pointed properly at your model. Lights in Cinema 4D work exactly like real lights. If you want to make a part of your model brighter you have to point it at the model properly in 3D space. If your text is in the middle of your 3D world and you just add a light, then the light and the model are in the same place, so you need to move the light away to the front or the side to get light to be seen on your model. If you don't, it's like pointing a flashlight at your hand but actually touching your hand. You would see no light.

On 2/23/2018 at 8:49 AM, Angelaa said:

why I can't change my text color ?

Any HDRI you add will reflect any color in that HDRI to your text because at the moment your material (as you have in your example file from your first post) is only reflective. To make it a color you choose, you need to add the color to the Layer Color in your Reflectance of your material. You can also untick Color channel in your example file.

layer-color.thumb.png.22ffe6dcec0ac68a88adf22cb7ec776f.png

Edit: Beaten by @Cerbera again, but I'll leave this here.