Sign in to follow this  
Super

Pasta Extruder

Hi guys!

I'm trying to find a way to do exactly this:

Essentially a pasta extruder version of this but with letters. I see the parallels between this and what I want to do. I've been able to make shape extruder from an emitter close to the same speed. But I have no idea how the slice and the extrusion are matched up, as well as the gravity change on the noodles once they are cut.

If there is a tutorial I could watch or any advice, please let me know!

Thank you!

I think it's just clever timing of the cutting blade with the actual true length of the object falling from each slot and the object falling goes off screen using dynamics just as the "new slice" appears in the slot, but the "new slice" is the actual beginning of the loop again.

An alternative if you don't want to match that look exactly but want actual slicing and looping, is shown in this tutorial by @turboniko

Haven't watched the video but as it's an hour and a half long I'm going to assume he's overthinking this. A very simple thing to set up manually. This took me about four minutes from scratch without having a clue how I was going to go about it. Just change the sweep I've done to a letter rather than the circle I've used and tweak it up to your liking. It's very basic so there's room to finesse this up from here. Don't go down the rabbit hole of complexity if you don't need to. Movie and file attached.

preview4.mov

Chopper.c4d

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, ABMotion said:

I think it's just clever timing of the cutting blade with the actual true length of the object falling from each slot and the object falling goes off screen using dynamics just as the "new slice" appears in the slot, but the "new slice" is the actual beginning of the loop again.

An alternative if you don't want to match that look exactly but want actual slicing and looping, is shown in this tutorial by @turboniko

Thanks for this! I'll definitely follow this through today. 

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, StCanas said:

Haven't watched the video but as it's an hour and a half long I'm going to assume he's overthinking this. A very simple thing to set up manually. This took me about four minutes from scratch without having a clue how I was going to go about it. Just change the sweep I've done to a letter rather than the circle I've used and tweak it up to your liking. It's very basic so there's room to finesse this up from here. Don't go down the rabbit hole of complexity if you don't need to. Movie and file attached.

preview4.mov

Chopper.c4d

Wow! Thats really clever! So it's a series of sweep/extrusions following one another through a bend. That's much simpler than I had made it to be. Thank you for this! The order of operations/layer alignment really explains things.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Super said:

Wow! Thats really clever! So it's a series of sweep/extrusions following one another through a bend. That's much simpler than I had made it to be.

Yes, that's all there is to it. It's so easy to get set off in a complicated direction with 3D so you always need to ask yourself is there a basic way to do this. Obviously, I just banged that out, so there's plenty of room to style it out a little more, but it should get you where you want to go. One thought I had is that you might want to animate the Strength of the bend as each chunk passes through the bend (resetting back to the first strength and repeating as each chunk comes through) so that it looks like each chunk is bending in response to being chopped. Little things like that are easy to do and can make all the difference.