Sign in to follow this  
JBlack

Very simple Material question re R16vR19

Edit: I made a mistake. Moderator (kiwi Hi) Please Delete

I think you're wrong about that. If a material is 100% transparent, luminance will not work, and it wouldn't work in R16 either. In fact it doesn't, I have just tested it in both ! All I can think of is that in R16 your transparency MUST have been less than 100%. And indeed that is the way we can do self-illuminating liquids, just drop transparency brightness to around 60%.

CBR

19 minutes ago, JBlack said:

Edit: I made a mistake. Moderator (kiwi Hi) Please Delete

Nigel does pop in from time to time, but he has moved on to MODO so doesn't run the cafe anymore.

There's no need to delete this, as it is a question new people encounter often, so could have helped someone else. But as you have removed the content, this can go now, and you have the power to do it ! Just delete your first post !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 8 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I think you're wrong about that. If a material is 100% transparent, luminance will not work, and it wouldn't work in R16 either. In fact it doesn't, I have just tested it in both ! All I can think of is that in R16 your transparency MUST have been less than 100%. And indeed that is the way we can do self-illuminating liquids, just drop transparency brightness to around 60%.

CBR

Yes I got that while trying to make the comparisons. I was sure I used to make self-illuminating materials that way before. but clearly, I did not :/

• Topic Author
  • I probably should have added ion this discussion that I have made a glass material before that when global illumination was switched on for rendering would self-illuminate. but I can't remember how I used to do that. It's likely that I used a glass preset from the library and then added a luminance channel. I think there were some glass presets that were transparent in some other method from the regular transparency channel. perhaps it was this that allowed a self-illuminating glass. Or maybe I dreamed it and just think its part of reality. lol. I actually do that sometimes. lol.