Sign in to follow this  
RemikxStudio

Inverted Normals / SketchUp files

Hi guys,

Is there anyone who has a solution to quickly flip the normals of a SketchUp file?

U+A , U+R doesn't work as the models are built in an odd way. 

Is there a script saying "select polygons with vector normals facing away from camera"?  Then I can flip those faces and It's fixed.

Hope you have a solution for me! 

Thanks!

screenshot.jpg

To be honest with you, both UA and UR are not 100% bulletproof, and contrary to what I have heard claimed, do NOT work all the time, even since being rewritten for R19. Those algorithms still get confused when faced with something like this. I am unaware of any script that fixes it, but the typical solution doesn't usually take long so I'll just tell you about that instead.

When Align Normals doesn't work on the whole object it will probably still work on smaller groups, so just do it in a few stages. Select only the blue polys and reverse just those - just mess about a bit with selections and the 2 commands and it will work in the end.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I think there are multiple faces sharing one edge. Recreated "the issue" in the screenshot.

So It's basically just the way this sketchup model is built.

There should be a Ufacenormalstowardscamera option :) 

Thanks for the reply!

Capture.JPG

Ah right that would explain it. Non manifold edges like this are terrible modelling technique, and we do expect that sort of thing to break the functionality of the polygon tools in Cinema. I would guess then that there is nothing you can do about that other than repair each error individually, after which the poly tools will work, or find or make a model that doesn't have these modelling mistakes in it ! Just seen all the ngons in the file as well - those should be fixed too before we can expect things to work properly....

CBR

• Topic Author
  • UA UR do what I would expect. It's just a terrible mesh I have been given. Unfortunately I have 20 of these buildings to go through. 

There is no budget and time foreseen to remodel them. That's why I was hoping on a quick "fix".

Thanks for looking in to it.