• “Great art picks up where nature ends.”  Marc Chagall 

Sign in to follow this  
jingles

LIDAR plugin/shader to create Aesthetic?

I'm looking to render a scene as if captured by LIDAR. I'd love to get recos on an efficient way to create this shader (or if a plugin exists).

I've tried it with particle emitters/xparticles (below) but found it quite heavy to process. I've got some on-set events I'd need to adjust/render on the go.

Thanks

As mentioned in this thread, there is a plugin that gets the data but not sure if it does anything looks-wise...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Definitely want to give this a spin. Might have to wait for a job to warrant the purchase.

Apologies for the double post. I searched LIDAR and saw that post but thought it was for rendering existing LIDAR data because of the CSV comment.

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, grain said:

I recently worked on a job where it was used extensively..

A lot of the renders I've seen on their site don't seem to behave how a scanner operates with obstructed views still getting point-dots. Did you find this to be the case?

EDIT: Radial scanning should be correct...found this in their wiki

https://c4d.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/4000109844-vls-virtual-laser-scanner-

Yes there's different modes, and you can also create layered scans where you just move the camera and repeat the process. It's also got the ability to output the scanned points as particles, mograph clones.. lots of creative options.