Hello, I am trying to learn how to model a bodykit for a car but I really dont know the proper way to do it.

If you look at the attatched image, the additional bodykit flows perfectly with the car chassi. 

1. I did a poor attempt where i started with a polygon and then added points. I then moved the points until it was flush with the car chassi. It did not look good and the process took a long time.

Any help/tips are appreciated.

531cbb83c095e569afa157ddea484427.png

Hello and welcome to the Cafe. By body kit, do you mean additional body parts, like aftermarket bumpers, skirts, spoilers ect or are you referring to building the car body work from scratch? if it's the former then if you have an existing car model, then you can use the bumper geometry as a  guide on how to build the new one, same for the rest of the car, or are you referring to building the car from scratch? either way you'll need some strong polygonal subdivision modelling skills

It also will take a while to model, even if you're experienced as cars can be quite challenging.

6 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

Hello and welcome to the Cafe. By body kit, do you mean additional body parts, like aftermarket bumpers, skirts, spoilers ect or are you referring to building the car body work from scratch? if it's the former then if you have an existing car model, then you can use the bumper geometry as a  guide on how to build the new one, same for the rest of the car, or are you referring to building the car from scratch? either way you'll need some strong polygonal subdivision modelling skills

It also will take a while to model, even if you're experienced as cars can be quite challenging.

Thanks for the comment. I meant additional body parts. I already have an existing car model. 

Can you in really short explain the process? Do you extrude from the already existing car chassi or do you create a whole new object?

Ah Thanks for clearing that up! it depends really what it is you want to do to the parts, you can make a copy of the existing bumper for example, and you could modify it by moving the geometry around, extruding polygons, add in more cuts so you have additional geometry in which you can  modify it further ect. it's a good idea to modify the stock one, if you're having a hard time starting from scratch on new parts, as if you use the existing part for the base of your new part, you're guaranteed for it to fit perfectly , where it connects to the rest of the body

Just now, VECTOR said:

Ah Thanks for clearing that up! it depends really what it is you want to do to the parts, you can make a copy of the existing bumper for example, and you could modify it by moving the geometry around, extruding polygons, add in more cuts so you have additional geometry in which you can  modify it further ect. it's a good idea to modify the stock one, if you're having a hard time starting from scratch on new parts, as if you use the existing part for the base of your new part, you're guaranteed for it to fit perfectly , where it connects to the rest of the body

Just like I thought.

Will have to give it another try.

Thanks for the quick answers!