Hello guys!

I'm stuck on something related to UV's, which is a pain to deal with, but I'm hoping some of you might have some pointers!

I have holes going through geometry, basically I'm trying to get the look of holes cut from sheet metal using a blow torch. I extruded some splines, used caps with quads and regular grid. This works fine for sculpting details around the holes to get the look of molten metal. But - how would you wrap the uv's? Is there any way to get them to be seamless through the holes?

The pictures are just for reference, I've spent the entire day in Zbrush trying to get good uv's in to Substance painter. But to no avail. The seams always go through the holes, mucking up the textures.

Have any of you had similar issued?

Cheers!

Urt

1_holes.jpg

2_sculpt.jpg

3_uvs.jpg

There have got to be seams somewhere, because UV unwrapping this is impossible without them. So I guess all you can do is park them round the back of the holes and fix it so the camera only ever sees one side...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • That's what I'm thinking too, and in Zbrush there's a function to control paint the model, to attract the seams to certain areas, but they always go through the holes anyway in at least two places. I was hoping that the uv master plugin in Zbrush would take care of it, since it's really good at solving uv's for organic shapes. Obviously not for hard surfaces though.

• Topic Author
  • Cerbera - do you mean that I could park the seams on the back, using Bodypaint?

Yes, manually unwrap it in BP UV edit, and you decide exactly where the seams go. Any auto-unwrap in any program will choose to put a cut through the center loops of the holes in order to minimize distortion - you must avoid this, do frontal mapping from both sides (including the hole inners in the front face) , do a relax with some key points pinned and otherwise just take the distortion hit, which will probably be fine anyway given the rough surface you are trying to emulate !

CBR 

Edited by Cerbera
    Added more info...

Here's roughly what your map should look like if you go with my plan above...

5aa1c57b674f9_UVholes.thumb.JPG.6473b6ffec3cd1932b2a718314c4b93d.JPG  5aa1d17769774_UVholes2.thumb.JPG.1b3b276ec7ded45959f5b5e62d5a697e.JPG  

Here's the seams I used. You can see the aforementioned distortion, but it is at least wrapping like you need...

5aa1d173dfc6e_UVholes3.thumb.JPG.61337d299e225b43b5f2d684af013057.JPG

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Cerbera, that looks really nice! You obviously know what you're doing :)

I'm going to try it for myself. In reality though, the shapes I'm cutting out are letters, so the geometry becomes much more complex and irregular. But your principle should apply.

Thank you!

• Namaste 1