Jump to content
RenderStorm Farm

DBVFX

C4D R20 - what do you guys expect?

Recommended Posts

everfresh    296
10 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

Yea, i know everfresh was having an issue with it especially

nah, you mixed that up... there's an edge selection bug in r19 which is similar to the knife tool bug from r18. so sometimes when you use the selection tool in edge mode, "select visible only" gets ignored, and you end up with a mess of unwanted selected edges. very annoying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VECTOR    517
13 minutes ago, everfresh said:

nah, you mixed that up... there's an edge selection bug in r19 which is similar to the knife tool bug from r18. so sometimes when you use the selection tool in edge mode, "select visible only" gets ignored, and you end up with a mess of unwanted selected edges. very annoying.

AH, my mistake i knew it was something along those line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cerbera    1,815
24 minutes ago, everfresh said:

nah, you mixed that up... there's an edge selection bug in r19 which is similar to the knife tool bug from r18. so sometimes when you use the selection tool in edge mode, "select visible only" gets ignored, and you end up with a mess of unwanted selected edges. very annoying.

Aha - thought I noticed that happening the other day :) Path select makes a decent alternative til they fix it I guess...

 

CBR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VECTOR    517
3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Aha - thought I noticed that happening the other day :) Path select makes a decent alternative til they fix it I guess...

 

CBR

i actually prefer path select 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cerbera    1,815
2 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

i actually prefer path select 

Me too. It's in my layout I use it so much...

 

CBR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CApruzzese    93

I am sort of amazed at how low are expectations are for V20. For "ten" version you might expect some really amazing stuff over and above the stuff we have been promised for many years or just improvements to  current features. I think MAXON has broken is user base down and now we expect a lot less from each release ... MAXON isn't alone in that but it's sad to me. I am holding out that it will be so amazing I will spring for whatever it costs to go from 16 to 20! The new core is HUGE but also promised for many many years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobc4d    115
2 hours ago, CApruzzese said:

I am sort of amazed at how low are expectations are for V20. For "ten" version you might expect some really amazing stuff over and above the stuff we have been promised for many years or just improvements to  current features. I think MAXON has broken is user base down and now we expect a lot less from each release ... MAXON isn't alone in that but it's sad to me. I am holding out that it will be so amazing I will spring for whatever it costs to go from 16 to 20! The new core is HUGE but also promised for many many years. 

it will be a huge, colossal, stupendous release all because I sold my license.  :slysmile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
VECTOR    517
10 hours ago, bobc4d said:

it will be a huge, colossal, stupendous release all because I sold my license.  :slysmile:

Ha all the more reason for you to come home, Bob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zmotive    59

SInce what we expect is a different question in most cases than what we want, and predictions seem to be the mode of the day, I'll say I think this will be a bigger release than the last 2 or 3 we've seen, but probably will not have all the "broad changes" that have been requested often. Given MAXON's tendancies and the way the app is currently positioned, I would say:

 

Sure Thing

  • A big boost to ProRender functionality and performance. This is almost a slam-dunk IMO given the direction they started with, with eGPUs hitting the scene on Mac (and Mac being an AMD-centric platform), and with the general push to get people to adopt this technology. They've invested heavily in it and stated from the start it will be a phased-in tech.
  • I'll go with big changes to the UV workflow also. I think it's a logical and overdue thing for them at this point.

50/50

  • Even odds for the long-awaited (and most important IMO) improvements to the Object Manager and the impact that has on the main working viewport.
  • Big overhaul to remaining core modelling tools that haven't seen much love in recent years.
  • Further improvements to the GL previewing, assuming Apple has ramped up their GL game. Possibly they improve it some with their official eGPU support that's on the way.

Low Probability

  • Nodal materials system. I think with the advent of multiple rendering platforms that have their own nodal systems, and integration with C4D, this seems like something they'll leave to other companies. Nodal also tends to go away from their core, simple-to-use workflow.
  • Big changes to Xpresso. They might clean up the UI a bit and add a couple new nodes but can't see big changes.
  • New Thinking Particles / massive particles overhaul. This one is very logical from a competitive standpoint but I think the evolution and popularity of XP gives them a reason to spend their effort elsewhere, right or wrong. At this point XP is as close to a must-have add-on as you can get. Don't see that changing / MAXON undercutting that.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EAlexander    22

I expect that some people will be thrilled and talk about how MAXON is the greatest company on the planet.  I expect that some people will be disappointed and talk about how MAXON is the worst company on the planet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zmotive    59
1 hour ago, EAlexander said:

I expect that some people will be thrilled and talk about how MAXON is the greatest company on the planet.  I expect that some people will be disappointed and talk about how MAXON is the worst company on the planet.

Haha. I expect you are correct. I should've added that to the "Sure Thing" bullets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fastbee    72

What I would hope for in R20 is better retopology tools, VR support, steady stroke in bodypaint, huge improvement to their character animation tools, more improvement to FBX file exporting and importing, easier controls for the soft selection tool, further improvements to the viewport like real time VXGI, integration of Nvidia physx that can be key framed and baked.

 

In general I hope they concentrate on core features in C4D like above that make C4D more pleasant to use, or is a feature only Autodesk programs might have now, or even better if they go beyond what the Autodesk offers for things like character animation would be amazing.  With non Autodesk products like 3Dcoat, Cycles, and Houdini I see no need to spend time developing things that other programs do way better unless C4D has already done the other core things super well.

 

There is one thing that can probably be done with some scripting now, but a built in link between their motion tracker and a face rig would be great.  This way I could pick points on a video of a persons face and use that for facial animations with a properly set up rig.  I could also do fun things like track the movement of an RC car or real car in a video and use that to animate a car in C4D.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×