Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

jbatista    28

Well this is quite a sensitive matter because i think users will defend their software of choice. In this matter, Maya users will always say their software is the best in the world, and because there are a lot of Maya users their numbers make a difference. 

Personally i prefer to give credit to the artist instead a piece of software. A strong modeller will always be good in almost any kind of software just because the  user's experience is the best tool. 

Regarding that list i would put Modo and Blender ahead of maya and even houdini. Zbrush is more a sculpting software so i wouldn't compare with others besides mudbox or 3dcoat. 

• Like 3

Cerbera    1,976
6 hours ago, jbatista said:

Well this is quite a sensitive matter because i think users will defend their software of choice. In this matter, Maya users will always say their software is the best in the world, and because there are a lot of Maya users their numbers make a difference. 

Personally i prefer to give credit to the artist instead a piece of software. A strong modeller will always be good in almost any kind of software just because the  user's experience is the best tool. 

Regarding that list i would put Modo and Blender ahead of maya and even houdini. Zbrush is more a sculpting software so i wouldn't compare with others besides mudbox or 3dcoat. 

Came here to say almost exactly that !! :)

CBR

• Like 2

Zmotive    66

Meh. Typical list-bait article thin on details or real analysis of why one tool is better than the other. Pure SEO + "check out our new event" click-bait IMO. I wouldn't give any aspect of it credence in terms of buying decision. You'd be much better off talking to people in forums like this, reading detailed reviews, trying out demos.

VECTOR    550
On 09/03/2018 at 6:23 PM, jbatista said:

It's not all Rosie in the Maya camp at the moment, there are alot of unhappy users, much in the way people on here complain about C4D , much is the same over there.

Midphase    12

I think everyone finds faults with things they're most familiar with. The grass is always greener on the other side. 

I think trying to make a list like this is a bit of a non-starter since everyone has very specific needs. For instance, if you're broke -- go for Blender....but if you're trying to get hired by a company then Maya makes the most sense (or Houdini), etc.

Orphydian    1

so is there a serious plugin setup for Maya to match 3ds max nondestructive modifier stack.? Otherwise I dont see how he could  put Maya as a queen of modeling? The modeling tools  themselves are a bit more polished for Maya today than  the old max ones but it lacks this workflow.  There is another plugin from the MASH creators -Mainframe called ProSets (its paid by now but I suspect it will be part of Maya) that plays with history but thats more a toy.

hvanderwegen    55

If you can model nice in one application, you can learn to model just as nicely in another application after a couple of days of learning the tools. Each 3d app has its own advantages and caveats. I'd say it's a good idea to become somewhat software-agnostic.