BLSmith

Cutting An Object In Half

Hi all. New to C4D. I was provided a model of a small engine from an engineer from one of the departments here at work:

DHX4jJe.png

I was hoping I could "slice" it vertically in half, like this: 

My question: Is VRay a requirement? We just bought C4D, and it would be nice to not have to spend more money on an additional plugin. I've tried Boole, but C4D just freezes (I suspect because my Model is 600 pieces). Another option, which I have not done would be to combine all the objects that I am not animating into a single object and the slice that object in half and leave the other part(s) free to animate, but my ultimate goal in learning C4D is to animate this entire engine and I'd like the ability to cut it in half without messing with the model if possible. 

Is Voronoi Fractor an option? It is awesome and runs great! 

However, it looks like it creates random fractures, but it would be cool if it could be delegated to fracture only along the vertical axis/plane right down the middle of the engine. Though I do not know if the tool works like that. 

Do I have any options here? The alternative is to tell my boss it is not possible, and I can just animate slide the non-relevant parts off screen, or change the display tag from 100% opacity to 0%, but it would be cool to slice it in half. 

Hello, welcome to the cafe.

First some Admin stuff - it is vital that we know which version you are using before we can help, so that information needs to be in your profile - please update it. 

Anyway, on to your question...

A boole is the least professional and probably worst way of doing this, firstly because it is painfully slow and hates working with multiple objects, and secondly because of the disgraceful topology that they create, turning your otherwise perfect quads (if you are modelling stuff well) into horrible triangles that break any subdivision surfaces you may have going on. Voronoi Fracture can use custom slice planes and be driven by a vast number of objects within Cinema, including planes, but this tool is all about breaking things into pieces, and very much not optimized for doing this, so I wouldn't use that here either ! And, in the absence of clipping planes in Cinema, those are the only possibilities you really have in native C4D.

The Vray clipper is a much better way to go, and also doesn't require any extra modelling and produces flawless results, so that gets my vote for doing this kind of thing. But rendering with Vray can be something of a black art, so be prepared to spend a lot of your time deep in the render settings and on the Vray for C4D forum.

CBR

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera. I've updated my profile settings. Is there another renderer that can provide a similar clipping function, but is less of a "black art," and would be more user-friendly and useful for a person like me, or is V-Ray really the only way to go? I ask due to the fact that it's almost $1000 we'd be paying for essentially a single feature. 

7 hours ago, BLSmith said:

is V-Ray really the only way to go?

I'm not the person to ask about this - I have no external renderers myself, but hopefully someone who does will be along with the answer to that soon...

Thanks for fixing your profile !

CBR

You may achieve your effect by adjusting the materials in PS to paint only one side of your model and leave the other side transparent.

• Topic Author
  • 27 minutes ago, Anthony Owen said:

You may achieve your effect by adjusting the materials in PS to paint only one side of your model and leave the other side transparent.

By PS do you mean Photoshop? Sorry for the confusion, would you mind elaborating a little more? Thanks Anthony!

• Topic Author
  • You'd have to slice it in half first to get the image though, or completely remove the surrounding items completely. 

The problem with my suggestion is there would be no "real" cutting edge with UVs (just a hollow object open at the cutting edge). It looks like you will have to make half models for this. 

• Topic Author
  • Hm.. alright so from the sounds of it, I'll be requesting that animations will simply include parts ether dissolving, or sliding out of frame until we can purchase the plugin. Thanks all for your time and help.