TheOtherOne

Elevating one end of a 1/2 tube

Hi

So, I'm trying to elevate one of the ends of a half of a tube. But I always end up with a wrong shape. I woud like to make a solid which is made only of vertical squares which are extruted/sweeped (?) along the spline. The spline is just half of a circle, end of which is a little bit higher than its starting point.

I tried making it with bend deformer, sweep object and bezier splines and came to almost what I want to build but the shape isn't right at some point. 

It's hard to eplain- so I'm attaching screenshot as well as project file.

Regards,

OO

1.c4d

Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 22.58.35.png

I am trying to understand what shape you desire, or where you fail, but not sure I am. 

Did you try to use a Railspline with the sweep, so the square shape of the tube isn't rotating anymore?

• Like 1

Like @westbam, I am not entirely sure what you are trying to create, but if we have guessed the shape correctly, then I concur with him that a rail spline, and some different settings in the sweep are indeed the key...

Is this what you are trying to make ? If so, we can do it entirely parametrically.

5aa61fbc2f72d_railshapes.thumb.JPG.bc38ff6a7b65b39aa69de6e537334eb4.JPG

Your helix spline should start at 0 and end at 180 degrees rotation, and be set to XZ, and uniform spline interpolation and enough segments to make it smooth (about 24). Then, a rail spline (pink) which is a copy of the original helix (green) is placed under it (as a peer, not a child) in the sweep, then moved up an arbitrary amount on Y, and in the sweep object we need to use Rail Direction, and turn Banking off and the other settings shown above. In your original scene, you had Parallel Movement on as well, which you definitely don't want here.

Additionally, it is possible to 'trick' the sweep into giving you half-decent cap topology (shown above, and based on a 200 cm square rectangle used in the sweep) by Ticking Single Object in the Sweep and using the Caps settings shown . And if you do that, then you can put a Bevel Deformer in Chamfer Mode ( 1 subdivision, Use Angle ticked and set to 40 degrees) as the last child object of the sweep to get nice edges on that while you're at it... or, if you want to use SDS, simply change the bevel mode to solid, 0 subdivision instead.

If you need the scene file, just ask...

CBR

• Like 1

Like the guys above, I'm not sure I entirely get the issue, but...

The attached file has three versions which use the FFD deformer for a simple solution. The first two have the deformer in a different place in the hierarchy, the third (on the right) has different Sweep setting.

Tube.c4d

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • I'm sorry guys for not making myself clear but that one was pretty hard to explain :)

But thanks so much for all the responses!

At first I tried to use Sweep and beziers spline, then with Helix spline. In both cases with Parallel Movement turned off, but every time I was ending up with weird flattening in the middle.

The funny thing is, I tried working with Bend Deformer at the beggining, but after adding two of them I started losing control over the shape.

I'm definitely going to try all of  you guys' suggestions. For now I tried Cerbera's first method and this is exactly what I was looking for. That was almost what I did before adding this post but I didn't come with the idea of placing two splines as a peer. That was clever :)

Once again thanks guys!

OO

• Namaste 1