Hey, you need a renderfarm? If that's the case, make sure you check this topic for more info! 

crturybury

Animating rows of bricks

crturybury    0

I have line of 3D bricks laid out end to end. There are 30 bricks. I want those 30 bricks to come out of the ground. After the first row of bricks have come up out of the ground I want to repeat the same movement above those bricks creating a second row. My initial idea was to create a linear cloner animate the bricks coming up with a step effector and then cloner that cloner and repeat the animation above but I can't get past the single row.  Any help is much appreciated.

StCanas    60

As stated above, this is a very simple keyframe animation. The attached example took me four and a half minutes, start to finish.

Make a brick to the desired size. Linear Duplicate at the required spacing. Select all and keyframe them rising all at once (mine was over 10 frames). Grab both keyframes in the timeline. Cmd-Click the first brick to remove it from the selection, move the keyframes on 10 frames. Cmd-Click the second brick to remove it from the selection, move the keyframes on 10 frames. Cmd-Click the third brick to remove it from the selection, move the keyframes on 10 frames. And on and on. Repeat until you've completed your row. Duplicate the row then adjust the height of the second keyframe for each brick to make it pop up above the first row. Select all bricks in the second row, grab all keyframes and move them along the timeline as desired. Don't forget to slide the second row of bricks to get that offset thing they do when laying bricks.

Note: Knowing your shortcuts makes this super easy when you get to the second row and adjusting their heights so that they pop up above the first row. So... Select brick one, Cmd-G to go to its second keyframe, paste the desired height into the Y field, F-9 to record its new Y position. Select brick two, Cmd-G to go to its second keyframe, paste the desired height into the Y field, F-9 to record its new Y position. Select brick three, Cmd-G to go to its second keyframe, paste the desired height into the Y field, F-9 to record its new Y position. And on and on. By doing it this way rather than clicking on the second keyframe, typing in the value each time and then clicking the button to record its position, means you'll fly through it in no time. It's taken me longer to write his explanation than it did to do it.  :-)

Bricks.c4d

• Like 1

bezo    533

Cloner with effector work just fine for this also ;-) (really simple and fastest solution)

building wall.zip

• Like 1

crturybury    0
  • Topic Author
  • I think I only have one last question. What if the bricks were to cascade on from left to right as the move up.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 4.11.48 PM.png