BLSmith

Highlighting Within an Object.

Edit: Main question has been solved. Here is a small video/tutorial on how I achieved the original post below. That being said, Bezo's had an excellent reply that goes into more advanced topics I'd love to probe further if anyone wishes to expand upon his method:

===========================================================

Original Post: 

Here is a perfect example of what I am trying to emulate: 

How can I do this with C4D? I have a model, and I want to create lines that simulate movement within the model exactly like this animation. How can I accomplish this? It's difficult to word exactly what this is, and so I've found it difficult while searching for video tutorials. Any help you guys might be able to offer is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for your time!

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the file and your reply StCanas. I've made a short video follow up:

Emulating the effect on a model I have gives much different effects. Curious to know if you can spot what I did wrong here... Sorry to drag this out as I'm really new to all this!

This looks interesting BLSmith I hope you find the answer soon <3 You have me curious about this Highlighting FX as well

Take a look at the attached file. It was just your mapping. I've put it on Cylindrical and I think that's what you're after. As for getting the bands as transparency - just do the Tiles thing in the Transparency Channel rather than the Colour Channel and make the colours black and white. Hope that makes sense.

Crankshaft.c4d

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Thank you guys for your replies! Man I love this community already. 

To Bezo: 

Text version: I LOVE this style and approach. That being said, trying to emulate what you did has been difficult. Would you mind going into a little more depth on what you did to accomplish that? I'd really appreciate it because I like it a lot! 

To StCanas: 

Text version: I tried to emulate what you did to the best of my ability, but I still don't know how to make that ghost cylinder you did nore how to have the original material texture appear in the spaces between the white sections of the moving texture. I'm positive it's in my poor way of trying to communicate what I'm trying to achieve and I apologize if I am testing your patience with me. Would you mind elaborating more on what I am missing here? 

Thanks guys. 

are you aware there's a thing called layer shader, where you can stack layers of shaders and mix them with different blending modes just like in photoshop? that should solve your issue you have with st.canas texture solution. to get rid of the jaggies just go into your render settings and increase the settings for anti-aliasing.

• Topic Author
  • 10 minutes ago, everfresh said:

are you aware there's a thing called layer shader, where you can stack layers of shaders and mix them with different blending modes just like in photoshop? that should solve your issue you have with st.canas texture solution. to get rid of the jaggies just go into your render settings and increase the settings for anti-aliasing.

Honestly after Googling, watching a video tutorial: 

I honestly do not know how I would apply what was said in there to my goal of creating a moving highlighted texture over my model. It just added to my confusion. 

• Topic Author
  • Hey Digitvisions! So I totally see what you were talking about, and I definitely see the applied texture tool you referred to! The only issue I have is that even though the texture can be offset to infinity, it looks like it is constantly applying the texture to the model. I want the texture to "slide in" over one side of the model, and "slide out" of the other side of the model - but the way its set up it looks like it is constantly looping rather than sliding from one end to the other. Also, I'd like to be able to see the original material/texture in the spaces blank spaces. Any ideas? 

33 minutes ago, BLSmith said:

but the way its set up it looks like it is constantly looping rather than sliding from one end to the other.

In the texture tag, simply turn Tiling off to fix this issue.

CBR

58 minutes ago, BLSmith said:

Also, I'd like to be able to see the original material/texture in the spaces blank spaces. Any ideas? 

like i said, layer shader. put your original object color/texture as the first layer. put the tiles shader layer above that layer, and set the colors of your stripes to black and white. add a blue color layer on top of everything. then set the tiles shader layers blending mode to "mask". it will then use the black and white values to mask out the color layer above it. black means hidden, white visible. now you have blue stripes over your original texture.