BLSmith

Highlighting Within an Object.

BLSmith    10
  • Topic Author
  • Cerbera: That looked like it did it! (PS I'm working on not talking in circles so much to cut down on video time lol). 

Now what I'd like to do is change the transparent portion of the texture to display my original chrome texture. Any ideas? 

everfresh    301
    12 minutes ago, BLSmith said:

Now what I'd like to do is change the transparent portion of the texture to display my original chrome texture. Any ideas? 

you already have the answer to that. if you choose to ignore the solutions provided to you, i can't help you. i'm out.

• Sad 1

Cerbera    1,927

Thanks for the video ! :) There is an even easier way to get your Chrome underneath. Just use a second material under the first - ie drag your chrome material onto the object as well, and move the texture tag to the left of the other one (Cinema reads tags from left to right).

CBR

• Like 2

StCanas    56

First, let me say, I wish everyone would ask questions with such clarity! Doing the little video makes it so much easier to work through the issue without confusion.

Everything you ask is easily solved. File attached.

For the jagged edges, just up the Anti-Alias to Best in the Render Settings and the will take care of that.

As mentioned above, turn off Tile in the Attributes after clicking on the Material Tag. That will get you the single sweep of lines rather than a continuous loop.

For the issue of seeing the metal underneath the blue stripes... I didn't quite get what you meant when you described that when I suggested using the Transparency channel. To get the effect you want use the Alpha Channel not Transparency as I said. Check my example. Then Stack that material to the right of a chrome material and that will show through.

Hope that helps.

Crankshaft.c4d

5aa90ec1484b4_Crank2.thumb.jpg.a7db629c1c6d9b455f0db55afc27955a.jpg

EDIT: I've just added some glow to the blue, for fun. So make sure you take the latest attachment here.

And a quick movie (without the glow)...

Crank 2.mov

• Awesome 2

BLSmith    10
  • Topic Author
  • Thank you all for your replies overnight. I spent the day today going through them and I'd like to reply to each of you individually. However, to save everyone time, the short answer is: I got it working! I will be creating a "How I did it" video in the original post so that people looking for the same answers can save time. However, I made these videos in the order of receiving the replies, and the solution was not found until StCanas's reply.

On to the original replies:

Everfresh:

Digitvisions: Video Removed. Please do not use language like that here. 

Cerbera:

StCanas (Part 1 of 2 - My Solution!)

StCanas (Part 2 of 2 - My Solution!) 

That being said, Bezo's sparked my curiosity with his animation and I'd love to probe that approach further if anyone wants to stick around to discuss that :)

Edited by Cerbera
    Removed offensive language
    • Namaste 1

StCanas    56

To stop the glow blowing out too much just reduce the Radius. Once you've done that you can probably push the intensity numbers back up a little.

StCanas    56

The method I showed works for objects like the one in Bezo's example. See attached file. Click play to see the movement.

Crankshaft.c4d

everfresh    301

haha, ok, you're forgiven ;) 

you can use a layer shader in any channel, not just color. i talked about color just to simplify. you can use that same technique to mask reflections in your reflectance channel. so in your case, you could add another reflectance layer on top of your chrome reflection which meets the characteristics of your blue stripes, then copy that layer shader from the color channel into the layer mask channel of your newly created reflectance layer, in that layer shader then change the blue to white and also copy that into the layer mask of your chrome reflection and invert black and white. sounds a bit complicated, but it's actually just a few clicks. i admit, the 2 materials solution with alpha is a bit easier, but i recommend to get familiar with layer shaders and layer masks and masking options in the reflectance layers anyways, since it will open up a whole new world of possibilities for you. if you use for instance a subtile noise instead of stripes in your reflectance layer mask, you can bring some variation in your reflections to simulate more used looks, like for instance some people already touched your chrome object with their sticky fingers and such. or add tiny scratches ( everywhere a scratch is, your material won't be as reflective and also has more roughness), speaking of roughness, if you twirl down that little arrow next to your reflection layers roughness settings, you can also input shaders to modify the roughness amount. utilizing those options will give you endless possibilities to tweak your materials to your liking.

BLSmith    10
  • Topic Author
  • Hey guys, I will be back tomorrow with an update.

I am currently working on C4D at work and today I'm working from home and don't have C4D installed on my home machine. I'll reply back tomorrow with an update.

• Thanks StCanas/Everfresh your new replys, I look forward to going through them. 
    • Cerberus, I apologize for uploading the (now removed) Digitvisions video I included in the reply above. I noticed my dog was chewing on an electrical wire and I cursed, THEN I accidentally uploaded the wrong video! 
    • Like 2

blem    0

Major props for the follow up videos I have been following along learning a thing or two great stuff in this thread <3

BLSmith    10
  • Topic Author
  • Hey StCanas! I think I understand what you've been saying in terms of how Bezo's example can be done using your same method. However, I did have a few small questions that added some level of confusion, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at those touch points, I think we might be close to buttoning up this thread! :)

everfresh    301
    9 hours ago, BLSmith said:

Hey StCanas! I think I understand what you've been saying in terms of how Bezo's example can be done using your same method. However, I did have a few small questions that added some level of confusion, if you wouldn't mind taking a look at those touch points, I think we might be close to buttoning up this thread! :)

a sweep is not a subdivision surface, it's a sweep ;) it's just found under the same menue as the subdivision surface object. he created the model with the sweep object and made it editable to add in the thickness variation in the middle. he then just hid it from rendering, but left it in the project as a backup. nothing that needs to confuse you. i suggest watching a few basic c4d tutorials to get familiar with the different generator objects and such.