Sign in to follow this  
Yohnson

Complex Pole

• Topic Author
  • Made an attempt at the topology step down (see attached).. I'm sure there could be something 'wrong' with this though.

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 13.19.52.png

I see what you've done there, and it's certainly a valiant effort on your journey towards modelling excellence :) And it's a good exercise in polygon concatenation (which is what I call down-stepping) whether it's necessary or not !

We have all quads by the looks of it, which is good of course, but 'what sort of quads are they ?' is one question we could ask next.

In the center they are the right kind of quads - convex, regular, even, and cover the same sort of space at one end as they do at the other.

Compare and contrast that to the first row of down-stepping, where that is not so much the case and we have diagonal lines going across the edge flow and all the polys are just a hair's-width away from having coplanar edges. It is only thanks to the circular form that these are not entirely coplanar, and therefore as bad as triangles ! How could you have improved on that ? Simply by having less distance between that edge loop and the next one in towards the center. I would have added another loop there to confine that down-step to a smaller space, and make it more even at either end, if you see what I mean.

But you may get away with that on an object this highly subdivided because the curvature is very established by that. Tell me - are you getting any shading artefacts under subdivision with this topology ?

CBR 

• Topic Author
  • Quickly read thru your post - but back to work for now... I will enjoy trying to digest that fully later...

In terms of shader error - Not at all.. Here is a subdivision quick render with a simple material and ambient occlusion.

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 13.56.06.png

Ah, it's flat surface :) That's why no shading errors, and why this is totally fine to leave as it is ! My advice above would be more apposite for a slightly curved surface, which I originally thought this was for some reason !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Ah OK I will bear that in mind because on the other piece there is a curved surface that I will need to do some 'polygon concatenation'... Learning C4D plus a new language so it seems :) Cheers!

• Topic Author
  • Hello again,

So, latest with this: I'm trying to add the smaller details in now having created the bulk shapes and am fairly happy with the geometry on the whole. My next stage is to add screws and switches that come out from the bottom of the fan.

I'm sure there are no trianges, Ngons or complex poles.. Is there anything else I should be checking my mesh for? (I'm sure there is a lot that could be picked apart with what I have produced so far!)...

As for the details, it seems like I'm trying to now 'force' these in with the mesh I have and in turn it is making the mesh look uncomfortable. I'm sure with more expertise and forward planning I would / should have forseen these 'challenges' but as you can tell I'm working on 1 'challenge' at a time (1. Complex poles and 2. Stepping my topology down) ...

Now I'm feeling that if had I quad capped the hole it would be easier to create the extra details I need. But maybe I am wrong.

Here is my mesh and you can see the 'on / off' switch I'm attempting to create from the mesh I have. Is there any other way i should be approaching because my gut tells me this isn't right.

Any advice would be great at this stage.

Thanks! :)

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 14.00.26.png

Well, it certainly would have been the right thing to do to factor that switch into your original topology plans, but what you are doing now is OK, assuming you can get the corners sharp enough with those few edges. With hindsight it might have been better not to do the stepping down, or at least not so much if you do need more edges to support that form.

At the moment you have 2 edge loops running in both directions across that switch bit. That is enough to do the 'borrowed edge' technique where you slide those inner loops out towards the edges to tighten the corners (if that is what you need here). Alternatively you could use some subtle SDS edge weighting to tighten them, but this does risk introducing shading artefacts if the SDS level isn't high enough, and usually means you need L4 or even L5 subdivision whereas without that L2 would probably do.

There is another consideration. I would be very surprised if the switch was the same object as the lamp casing in the real world, and if that is true, then you can just make a new object yourself and line it up over the top, in which case you don't need to worry about topology at all ! Or it might be that there is just a cutout or recess, AND a separate switch object which again,  would need less control loops to hold its form were it the case... so just checking you do actually need to make it all one object, because you can save a lot of modelling time and headaches if you don't !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Hi,

Thanks @Cerbera for your pointers during this process, to what started as a complex pole issue and became a topic of general help :) Just wanted to share the final image. Perhaps later I will submit some different views with the mesh.

I learned a lot on this project and it is the most complex thing I've modelled so far so it was a great experience. Far from perfect but a big improvement from my last..

...On to my next model

Fan.jpg