Sign in to follow this  
partypooper

Clamp constrained object not rendering

Hi guys, 

First of all, I am working with R18.057.

So I constrained a cube to a surface of a sphere (a subdivided cube). I can see the constraint working in the editor and also in Render view. However, the position doesn't update in Render to Picture Viewer, i.e. I can tell the cube rotates but it is inside the sphere...

It seems to me like a clear error in c4d because I can't see why you would have the Picture Viewer organize the scene differently...

And furthermore, when I animate the surface, the constraint doesn't update automatically, I need to click in the editor window and only after that it readjusts itself.

Is there a way to fix this behaviour?

Thank you

6 minutes ago, partypooper said:

First of all, I am working with R18.057.

Good - let's get that in your profile, so you don't have to announce it every time !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Sorry, I've updated my profile :)

For anyone interested, I have noticed that this problem occurs only when I use the subdivision surface.

Excellent, thanks.

Now,  is the render subdivision on the SDS the same as the viewport ? Because it's not by default, and it might confuse the constraint if the point count changes.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Good idea:) unfortunately, it is not. I tried setting the constraint to mode min and both of the views were in sync for some reason. I couldn't replicate this behaviour in a larger hierarchy, however.

Is there a way to use the Render View as the output? It would solve a lot of problems for me.

I need this because I am constraining an eye to the face of my character: The character is a complicated SDS which I animate with a mesh deformer where the cage is a low poly version of the character, driven by joints and pose morph. When I am animating, the constraint is lagging behind and the eye is never in position unless I click inside the editor window or the hierarchy. :(

33 minutes ago, partypooper said:

Is there a way to use the Render View as the output?

Not apart from Print Screen. Final output should always be from the Picture Viewer.

But this sounds like a priorities problem more than anything now; very much not my area of expertise, so we'll have to wait for someone else to tell you what those priorities should be. If it's any help, the manual on this is very clear (search for priority) but without seeing the complete setup I can't advise correctly.

CBR

Hi there

Can you share the file to see the problem in detail?

cheers

Hi, if you have a head bone/joint then it's best to parent the eyes to the  head joint, you will get a better and faster transition.

• Topic Author
  •  Thanks for the tip digitvisions. I will be squishing and stretching the head a lot with pose morph so I think I will end up using UVs. :)

jbatista, I hope the following snapshots are illustrative enough.

I am disappointed to find this dichotomy between Render View and Render to Picture View :/ 

I have just found out that Picture Viewer does not see my C-motion animation...

first.JPG

second.JPG

Hi there

That's what i suspected. It's a problem envolving expression priorities like Cerbera also mentioned. The understanding of priorities is one of the most weird things in c4d, even for a rigger like me.

To put simple, Cinema 4d reads priorities from TOP to BOTTOM and from LEFT to RIGHT. This means that objects that are on top have usually priority over the ones bellow , and this applies to children or objects that are at the same level. So in this case you want an object to follow another with a clamp constraint. So the commander object (cube and the subdivision) must be on top of the following one in the object manager order .

Try that

cheers

• Topic Author
  • Doesn't seem to work...

hm.JPG

• Topic Author
  • jbatista! you solved my problem with my C-motion !! thanks a lot man! :)) I played around with the hierarchy and I got it to render in the picture viewer.

Thank you!