Sign in to follow this  
everfresh

CG Society Forums Bitcoin Mining Now ?

everfresh    269

i was wondering since yesterday evening that my fans started spinning for no reason. lately several sites began implementing a bitcoin mining script to their sites which uses the visitors cpu for bitcoin mining purposes. it's really annoying. there's an extension for chrome and firefox called "nocoin", but that stopped working, apparently the scripts got smarter and the extension can't keep up. usually those sites are streaming portals or news sites, i was really surprised that cgtalk was the culprit this time. but every time i open that site the fans start spinning immediately. can anyone else confirm this? this madness has to stop, i'm not willing to allow anyone to use my cpu for makin money with that bitcoin bs.

VECTOR    508
15 minutes ago, everfresh said:

i was wondering since yesterday evening that my fans started spinning for no reason. lately several sites began implementing a bitcoin mining script to their sites which uses the visitors cpu for bitcoin mining purposes. it's really annoying. there's an extension for chrome and firefox called "nocoin", but that stopped working, apparently the scripts got smarter and the extension can't keep up. usually those sites are streaming portals or news sites, i was really surprised that cgtalk was the culprit this time. but every time i open that site the fans start spinning immediately. can anyone else confirm this? this madness has to stop, i'm not willing to allow anyone to use my cpu for makin money with that bitcoin bs.

hmm nothing my end, opened up my cpu monitoring app as well and no change when logging onto cgsociety  

everfresh    269
  • Topic Author
  • this is really weird... i cleared my caches and all, just opened up the site again and the fans fired up right away.

everfresh    269
  • Topic Author
  • just noticed it stops when i go to the main page, and starts again when i go to the c4d forums page. can you test this?

VECTOR    508

Weird yea I'll have a Look, I'll get the  motherboard monitor app open as well which gives me all the fans speeds etc

VECTOR    508

Odd minor fluctuations but nothing that would indicate an increased load on the cpu, fan speed stays much the same aswell

Cerbera    1,730

Hmmm. Nothing weird for me there either - my CPU does the same with the CGS C4D Forums open as it does here - not much !

But agree that would be totally out of order if it was happening without user consent.

CBR

everfresh    269
  • Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Hmmm. Nothing weird for me there either - my CPU does the same with the CGS C4D Forums open as it does here - not much !

But agree that would be totally out of order if it was happening without user consent.

CBR

tested it also with firefox, the same. fans start firing up immediately. i've read about hackers placing scripts on various sites, maybe that's the case there too... maybe the anti-virus software on your pcs is capable of stopping it, and my mac just is not. would be interesting to know if other mac users are facing the same issues.

MJohnny    40

Yes, just loaded cgtalk and task manager shows increased CPU usage. Didn't even had to login. I'm FF user.

• Like 1

everfresh    269
  • Topic Author
  • thanks for confirming, almost glad it's not just me.

Lonchaney    1

The Activity Monitor on my MbP is flat when visiting CGTalk on Chrome but skyrockets to over 400% CPU usage while using Safari. Very strange. I don't have FF installed.

bezo    475

Also FF user. Script detected and blocked by ESET...