rafidola

Bevel Problem

Hello.
I have set a selection for a few edges and then I have made a "Bevel" to be the child of the mesh. Then, I put the selection tag in the selection tab of the Bevel but I get some annoying deformation. How do I avoid it?

BevelQuestion.jpg

BevelQuestion2.jpg

Hard to see what is going wrong here, but I would guess that it's either down to unconnected points, or ngons.

Could you put just that object in a new scene file and upload it ?

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

For the polygon tools like bevel to work properly you need to have geometry that follows polygon rules !

You have a massive ngon right down the centreline. It can't work with that - you need to run the loops all the way to the center.

Also make sure you have no stray points - that can also cause this sort of thing.

CBR

I don't understand. :( What do you mean I have to run the loops all the way to the center and I think I don't have stray points.

Yeah I've changed my answer since then - refresh the page ! decided I couldn't see enough of what was going on to be sure of my advice...

CBR

It's because you have 2 coincident points here. Weld those and it should be fine.

5aae786fced44_straypoints.thumb.JPG.25945d5d3235b67adca1e4002af555a9.JPG

Note I have connected the edges across that top bit to minimize the chance of errors caused by that ngon.

CBR

Actually, there are 2 more coincident points above the ones I highlighted initially. You will need to get them all.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

It's because you have 2 coincident points here. Weld those and it should be fine.

5aae786fced44_straypoints.thumb.JPG.25945d5d3235b67adca1e4002af555a9.JPG

Note I have connected the edges across that top bit to minimize the chance of errors caused by that ngon.

CBR

I welded the points and then connected the edges on top but still doesn't work correctly.  This is what I get.

BevelQuestion3.jpg

Look very closely at that vertical. You have a very narrow extra face in there (you have to get in very close to see it). Melt that with the big face to its right, get rid of the two resultant points top and bottom, then add the top line (along the top of the big poly) to your selection. Just done that and it works perfectly.

I don't think you have successfully welded them. When you have it will look like this...

5aae9498096bb_bevelfix.thumb.JPG.00d3ff69f593c61e1c879e0929f40297.JPG

You are unable to see how many vertices you have selected at the moment because you don't have that information displayed in the HUD. Without that, you are just guessing at what you have selected in circumstances like these...

CBR

If you delete neighborrow polygons, you can see just another one, very thin 4sided polygon.Remove it or zoom in close as posible and weld top points and then bottom points.

thin_polygon.thumb.png.fff1edea653e1189ed1b08e7e669745f.png

or optimize all points with higher value then distance between top/bottom points

optimize.thumb.png.5fec89164d28890d7463daf9e71695ba.png

btw, mesh looking so crazy, for me it looks like you are use extrude with enabled cap many times...