Sign in to follow this  
xJadonx

Fun With Ragdolls! Cinematic Short

• Topic Author
  • 11 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Just outstanding!  I almost felt guilty enjoying it soo much (I mean, they are scenes of human based characters being squashed, chewed on and crushed after all.  It reminds me of the first time I played with the Endorphin demo years ago....I had a sadistically good time whacking those little rag dolls around).

But apart from the subject matter, the animation, music, editing and animations were just spot on impressive.  I am saving that link as I anticipate many viewings in my future (oh my...what does that say about me?).  I also watched Ragdolls 1 and 2.  Loved those as well but Ragdolls 3 takes it to a whole new level.

MAXON should put this on their home page with an article about how you made it. 

Just tremendous.

Dave

Man, thank you so much. This really made my day. I can't even... wow haha! Means a lot! The only places I've really shared it are twitter, instagram, personal facebook and a few friends. I emailed MAXON hopefully they'll see it. I hope they enjoyed it as much as you did! haha.

Just a lil fun fact, I was gonna actually put a tilting city. Everything was created to scale, so it was a pretty big scene. thousands of buildings with lil details in the catwalks too. Ragdolls going crazy, cars sliding, etc. But the hallway took up most of the time I had available in the edit so i just never rendered the city bit.

Also, I might be putting out a behind the scenes. I also recorded myself screaming in a microphone in the closet for the voices haha! Are there any topics you'd like me to touch on for the making of video?

Thanks again! Can't even describe how much this made my day haha!

Hi,

I will be interested in the way you created the rag-doll rig and the simulations.

4 hours ago, xJadonx said:

Man, thank you so much. This really made my day. I can't even... wow haha! Means a lot! The only places I've really shared it are twitter, instagram, personal facebook and a few friends. I emailed MAXON hopefully they'll see it. I hope they enjoyed it as much as you did! haha.

Just a lil fun fact, I was gonna actually put a tilting city. Everything was created to scale, so it was a pretty big scene. thousands of buildings with lil details in the catwalks too. Ragdolls going crazy, cars sliding, etc. But the hallway took up most of the time I had available in the edit so i just never rendered the city bit.

Also, I might be putting out a behind the scenes. I also recorded myself screaming in a microphone in the closet for the voices haha! Are there any topics you'd like me to touch on for the making of video?

Thanks again! Can't even describe how much this made my day haha!

Well, one of the more impressive elements of that animation are the sound effects and editing.  Very professional and add huge amounts to the enjoyment of the film.  But I don't think this is the right forum to discuss that (in fact, I hope you are posting this animation as well to the Final Cut Pro crowd....BTW: I just love the voice "Oh...this can't be good").

One thing I would probably want to learn more about is how to rig a model for rag doll physics as I am sure there are some constraints that need to be applied to insure that joints bend realistically.  Was it a simple matter of just using hinges?  Was it that simple?  Also, while you go from key frame to physics simulation, can you actually combine the two?  That is, have the arms key-framed to flay about and grab for things while the body is falling.  Or the legs kick a bit after they hit the ground.  Not sure if that is possible (eg is motion blending possible?).

In short, just tell us everything!  ;-)

Dave

ok very very cool..   indeed.

That's really great, well done. What was it rendered with? 115 hours of rendering seems very fast for a project this complex

• Topic Author
  • 7 hours ago, spiralstair said:

That's really great, well done. What was it rendered with? 115 hours of rendering seems very fast for a project this complex

Used Arnold to render. Was gonna use per material only with physical but it seemed slower than arnold.