mrittman

Migrating from 3ds max to Cinema 4D

I recently purchased this 3D model from Turbosquid: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-gun-glock-19-gen-model/1096944.

It was created in 3ds max and rendered with vray. It does include texture maps and I've tried my best to re-link everything in C4D. The artist included an FBX and OBJ, but they're both kind of funky. I'm thinking about opening the original file in 3ds max and re-exporting as a new FBX, but I don't think the textures would match up being rendered with Vray. I did get the model in C4D, but it seems some of the UV's are stretched a bit. I don't think the UVs of the model translate perfectly into C4D. Since 3ds max used Turbosmooth, and C4D uses SDS...there are some differences I think? I attached a couple example renders where you can see the stretching problem.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to be able to edit the original geometry in C4D, while retaining the UV data. I am planning to get everything working with Corona renderer in the end, as it's such an easy to use render engine.

IMG_5687.JPG

IMG_5688.JPG

5 minutes ago, mrittman said:

Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to be able to edit the original geometry in C4D, while retaining the UV data. I am planning to get everything working with Corona renderer in the end, as it's such an easy to use render engine.

If the object is a base mesh without any subdivisions surface/turbo smooth it should export as OBJ/FBX perfectly. Some times the models have a normal tag, which sometimes makes things funky, delete it and use phong tag instead. 

Also, if you have access to 3ds max you can export it as OBJ without any modifiers or deformers, just a base mesh .Then you can add your modifiers(e.g. subdivision surface) inside c4d. You can check the UVs in 3ds max too to make sure they are working properly there or not.

Other than that it is hard to tell without a scene file.

3D is where your dreams come true ... or at least mine :D

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, maliohammad said:

If the object is a base mesh without any subdivisions surface/turbo smooth it should export as OBJ/FBX perfectly. Some times the models have a normal tag, which sometimes makes things funky, delete it and use phong tag instead. 

Also, if you have access to 3ds max you can export it as OBJ without any modifiers or deformers, just a base mesh .Then you can add your modifiers(e.g. subdivision surface) inside c4d. You can check the UVs in 3ds max too to make sure they are working properly there or not.

Other than that it is hard to tell without a scene file.

Thanks man. I'll try your suggestions!

Yeah I concur with @maliohammad that you are best off stripping out the SDS and whatnot in Max, and reinstating it later in Cinema. I am not 100% that your UV's will remain entirely unscathed by this, but I think the chances are fairly good, and it will be easy enough to repair them in BP if not :)

CBR