Sign in to follow this  
legmog

Best format for Multipass Renders

Hi Peeps

So I'm wanting to render THIS image here.

5ab3b59e1809a_Image1-WhatIwant.thumb.jpg.b05e6e2d972429c1a33154f230daee68.jpg

This is part of a SUPER big scene file, so I'm not going to do one single render, but rather compile it all together in After Effects (CS6) from various Multipass Renders.

This will be layered as follows...

5 - Lens Effects

4 - Glow Effects

3 - Atmosphere

2 - Reflection

1 - A 'Blend Channel' with everything BUT the things listed above turned on. This blend channel will be the 'base' layer.

(PS - I'm using C4D R19 with the Standard Render)

So obviously I need to perfectly replicate the image above (or as near as damndest) by layering together all those passes in After Effects. THIS is where I am running into problems. Look at the results of the following formats...

(PPS - I should also note I've checked the 'save' for 'Compositing Project File' in C4D render settings and have set 'target application' to After Effects. Just so it all automatically (ish) sets it all up)

FORMAT - .Tiff

DEPTH - 16 Bit / Channel

5ab3baf154878_Image2.thumb.jpg.a23488d31a5da1c156a8513a75970da2.jpg

5ab3bafbb4eb0_Image3.thumb.jpg.5e3ff01594c7732813455ec9c5199722.jpg

FORMAT - .Tiff

DEPTH - 32 Bit / Channel

5ab3bcf068bea_Image4.thumb.jpg.6e1b55b52af55ec490cee7314361d5af.jpg

5ab3bcff3b315_Image5.thumb.jpg.3a6636dda22a60b3626847b103d49ed4.jpg

FORMAT - .Tiff

DEPTH - 8 Bit / Channel

5ab3bf50798ae_Image6.thumb.jpg.d3e08922889bcc632decf8b5f9995b2e.jpg

5ab3bf68a6858_Image7.thumb.jpg.48f5c0159be0ab8edf8436fe79a3f396.jpg

FORMAT - .PNG

DEPTH - 8 Bit / Channel

5ab3c119e9bad_Image8.thumb.jpg.5ecf7ca1b8d89a19edb6a6ef9b600d80.jpg

Now before I show the AE results for this.... With .PNG Multipass results, I get a TON of error messages when importing into After Effects. I get...

1 - After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! {You can only assign RGB profiles.}

( 39 :: 0 )

2 - After Effects: AEGP Plugin PNGIO Support: Unable to decode PNG file

( 5027 :: 12 )

3 - After Effects: AEGP Plugin BodyPaint 3D: Unable to create composition.

( 5027 :: 12)

I NEVER usually have issues like this when trying to import .PNG's into AE.

After these sleuth of errors, the scene file opens up (seemingly fine) in AE. Here it is.

5ab3c270c1a82_Image9.thumb.jpg.1a467e2b0755897ee38a9597a748cac6.jpg

Again I must re-iterate that I normally have NO problems with importing 8bit PNG's into After Effects. In fact the 'regular image' was rendered out as an 8bit PNG and it  works in After Effects just fine! Yet the 8bit PNG MultiPass renders do this!? So strange...

Anyway, continuing on.....

FORMAT - .PNG

DEPTH - 16 Bit / Channel

5ab3c5260dfb3_Image10.thumb.jpg.cfbba54959b94796141605a2805d870a.jpg

5ab3c52d34c3a_Image11.thumb.jpg.f395701570758d38994a292708e55249.jpg

(Again, as with the 8bit PNG render, After Effects gives the same error messages when trying to open this scene file)

....CONCLUSION....

So.... When viewing the layered render passes in the C4D Picture Viewer, they ALL seem to look correct! (Except the 8 bit renders, which look noticable 'grainy').... HOWEVER, when I view the SAME render passes in After Effects, the whole lot just goes to hell.... Either way too dark, or way too bright / contrasted.

I must say I am not an expert at Multipass rendering. This is the most in-depth I've ever gone with it, so the whole lot is kinda uncharted waters for me. But can you guys see what's going wrong here?

I can even see glaring errors in how AE is interpreting the footage... Take the 16bit PNG renders for example...

Here's what the 'reflection pass' looks like in C4D's Picture Viewer.

5ab3c7e859cf9_Image12.thumb.jpg.3abcf6209801901d2fb01cab45c6df22.jpg

Here's what the same reflection pass looks like when I open it in a standard picture viewer.

5ab3c867e2ad7_Image13.thumb.jpg.44fc50837b6a4f352905191c19578151.jpg

Yet here's what the VERY SAME image looks like when it's imported into an AE comp!!!

5ab3c8c538170_Image14.thumb.jpg.0793ebf05e5e8049aabc9c738577c0cd.jpg

Like... WHAAAAT!???

There is a big different in EVERY multipass image, between how it looks in C4D / Picture Viewers and After Effects. AE just seems to throw an absolute hissy fit when importing in these images. Yet I don't ever have problems with importing in ANY other images to After Effects! It seems to ONLY be an issue with importing in images which have been created by Cinema 4D's 'MultiPass' feature.

ANY help on what is happening here / what the solution to achieve functioning Multipass renders would be fantastic! Thanks :)

• Topic Author
  • Ok, upon more testing... I see that Photoshop CAN open these MultiPass image files CORRECTLY! This is leading me to believe that there's something about how After Effects is choosing to interpret these image files upon import o.O

Which is so strange, as I've tried placing other random image files (I have kicking around on my PC) into AE, and it displays them perfectly fine. It's clearly something to do with ONLY images that were created as 'MultiPass' files from Cinema 4D o.O

Is this a Linear Workflow issue by any chance ? I don't use AFX myself, so can't advise specifically, but that's what it sounds like to me !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the reply Cerbera!

This is where I show my ignorance.... I have NO idea what 'Linear Workflow' means! >.<

I'm literally just activating Multipass in render settings, then hitting render.... I'm using the standard render engine, and my whole C4D workflow is vanilla 'out the box'... No plugins or anything fancy.

OK, Linear Workflow refers to the way all versions of Cinema after R16 deal with Gamma in materials. Working in LW generally gives more realistic looking results and falloffs.

If your scene is using that,and AE isn't, I suspect that will cause the problems you so thoroughly documented above !

But we do need an AE expert to confirm that might be the case !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Aha! Well I did some research myself on non Linear Workflow and found this link.

https://helloluxx.com/tutorials/cinema4d-2/cinema4d-rendering/linear-workflow-in-cinema4d-and-after-effects/

In it, it has this picture, showing where it can be toggled on or off in C4D.

projectsettings.thumb.jpg.f50724b20ba0d510e3a39d9f2f7012b2.jpg

I can confirm that in my project file, Linear Workflow IS turned on :)

Indeed, that's where it is in Cinema. But we don't want to turn that off ! Instead we want to make AFX have the same gamma as your file, so we need to find a setting in there that will sort this out - in fact the HelloLuxx tut does show you where that is. Otherwise, if you turn it off in Cinema you'll have to redo all your materials there, and you should avoid that if you can !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Ok! I THINK I've solved the issue! I've made the following changes as you can see in this image file.

5ab3e520a4281_Image15.thumb.jpg.38add35f1f043f0d13778fe723248451.jpg

I saw someone do ths in a Youtube video, so I gave it a go myself. After inputting these new parameters in After Effects, nothing happened for like, 5 seconds or so... The boom! It like, re-calibrated how it saw colours, and it all changed to how it SHOULD have looked!

I'm still a bit miffed as to why this ONLY has to be done with images rendered by Cinema 4D's MultiPass feature (whereas all other images import into AE just fine)... Is there some special thing that's done to the passes in the render which ISN'T done to normal renders?

Wow, this was extremely helpful and saved me a ton of time. Thank-you all so much.