Sign in to follow this  
legmog

Multipass issue rendering PNG's

Hi people. Firstly, this issue is in equal parts an After Effects . Cinema 4D issue, so I'll post this thread there too.
Otherwise, for the sake of brevity, I've actually made a video explaining my problem!  Here's the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNwuL8T0QfI&feature=youtu.be

Ultimately... It seems that when C4D's Multipass feature renders out an 'object buffer' mask  as PNG, After Effects (CS6 at least) does NOT like this in the slightest.
It fails to import the PNG files and gives two error messages...

After Effects error: internal verification failure, sorry! {You can only assign RGB profiles.}
( 39 :: 0 )

And...

After Effects: AEGP Plugin PNGIO Support: Unable to decode PNG file
( 5027 :: 12 )

The solution SEEMS to be... That when Multipass renders out an 'object buffer' mask, it gives it a 'grayscale colour profile. AE seemingly doesn't like this colour profile. You can however put the Mask image into Photoshop and CHANGE its profile from 'grayscale' to 'RGB colour'. THEN After Effects will allow it to import.

The only snag with this is.... While it may be a solution for still images, this is in no way a practical solution for animations. I have a 600+ frame animation render coming up in which I need to render out 11 individual Masks. That's more than 6600 individual frames that would need to be manually changed in Photoshop.
And while other formats (such as .jpg) DO work just fine in AE for the object buffer masks... This is not great either, as my scene file I need to render all my passes (such as diffuse, AO, reflection etc) as PNG, and all of that is lumped in WITH the 'object buffers'.

Surely there must be a solution to just make PNG 'Object Buffer' passes just WORK right out the box? I can't believe a hugely used and adopted format like PNG does not work correctly when rendered out as an Object Buffer pass.

• Topic Author
  • Oooh, I've just made a discovery concerning this..... I actually made another video showcasing it here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnu2hFja3lg&feature=youtu.be

Conclusion: The fault definitely seems to lie in C4D for this one. However earlier versions of C4D work fine rendering out object buffer mask PNG's and having them work in After Effects!
    Maybe anyone else who has C4D r19 might try doing a render test and see if they can get 'Object Buffer' PNGs working on their end?

Compliments on your question, freaking weird. I tested this in R16 and R18, and it works out of the box.

Now, one thing I really wonder, did you test the PNG files on other installments of After Effects?

14 hours ago, legmog said:

However earlier versions of C4D work fine rendering out object buffer mask PNG's and having them work in After Effects!

I have seen quite a lot of accumulated evidence now that R19 does contain some problems that previous versions didn't. And whilst it does seem that although the .053 service pack did fix quite a lot, it didn't fix everything !

If this does turn out to be a bug, please make sure you take the time report it to MAXON so we get it fixed asap !

CBR

I had the same error message in Ae when importing a greyscale provided b a client (Although it was a photograph not a render).

In the event that you do need to convert the images manually in Photoshop, you could always set up a Photoshop Action to convert the Object Buffers from greyscale to RGB, then run the Action form the Batch command in Photoshop on the whole folder containing the Object Buffers. Not ideal, but saves you having to go through all the png's converting each one, or rendering in another format. 

Just tested on C4D 19.053, rendered a cube with Object buffer and it imports fine into After Effects CC 2018, running an old macbook pro.

The object buffer was greyscale as you pointed out earlier.

The test was rendered using the standard renderer, rgb image and object buffer where set to 8Bit png.

Will try on my PC when I finish work, as the Ae error occurred last when I was using the PC. 

Not sure if that helps.

I've just tested on my PC, AE CC 2018 seems to import both the object buffer and rgb image fine, regardless of Bit depth/file format.

I know you're on Ae CS6, so that might be the problem. Although as I mentioned earlier I had the same error importing a greyscale photograph in Ae CC 2108. 

I think as a work around, look at creating an action in Photoshop to convert your greyscale images to rgb, and run that action on a folder until  you find another solution .