Sign in to follow this  
Dannyx

Scale not animating

Good day folks. I'm having a pretty annoying issue with C4D and can't figure out if it's a bug or I'm doing something wrong: it's about animating the scale of an object. Sounds super simple, right ? I'd first click on the key icon below the timeline to record the current scale and position and whatever. I'd then advance the timeline to where I want the thing to grow/shrink, scale it up/down and click the key again....however, it's not working :| The two keys DO appear on the timeline, but the scale doesn't change: it remains to whatever the first key was set at. What's up with this ? What am I doing wrong ? I'm trying to animate letters part of a word MoText. I made the phrase editable then messed around with the individual letters. The position and rotation animate correctly, but not the scale....why ? I had this issue before but have no idea how I managed to overcome it TBH...any thoughts ? Yes, the scale option is enabled to the right of the key icon. Cheers and thanks.

• Topic Author
  • I think I got it, sorry for asking so fast without doing prior research: click and hold on the little "cube icon" for "model mode" in the top-left and a small drop-down appears and under there there's ANOTHER option, "object mode", select that and it now seems to work...am I doing it right or will this mess up something else further down the line ?

Yep, you should usually do scale animations in Object mode.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Can I then STAY in object mode for other operations like moving or rotating ? I tried it out on a backup file I made and it seemed to have no ill-side effects. For some reason, I messed up my project and the letters ended up somewhere I didn't want them...dunno why, but anyway, I'll have to revert to the latest save I have, which is right before I started animating, which is not that far back, but still a lot to recover...thanks anyway.

Yes. Model in Model mode, Animate PSR transforms in Object mode.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Just noticed the cube for object mode has a little filmstrip next to it, so it makes sense what you just said....at least I think it's a filmstrip, with my 4K monitor it's kinda small and had to go in there with a magnifying glass :)) Thanks again.

You're welcome :)

CBR