Rectro

Zbrush 2018

Rectro    678

So Zbrush 2018 is another free update out March 28th.

Check out the new features in this video.  Skip to 4:04 into the video to get right into the demo.

• Namaste 1

Igor    509

I really wonder will they ever introduce few navigation solutions! Other than that, awesome as always...

Rectro    678
  • Topic Author
  • 14 minutes ago, Igor said:

I really wonder will they ever introduce few navigation solutions! Other than that, awesome as always...

I think one major area that they did change, or add to navigation was in the last update, a proper gizmo for Position, Scale and Rotation with locking to objects pivot, normals and selections, so this feels more like working in a traditional modelling application in that regard.  As for zooming, rotation, and panning around the canvas its not something I give a second thought.

The layout can be rather daunting more so since they keep adding more and more features.  Strip back Zbrush UI to what you use they things become clear that its not so bad.  I dont use half the features in Zbrush, to me its a organic sculpting app with great fluidity in its strokes.  It still needs proper grouping, and layers worked out, blend modes, and multiple painting layers per object that work with a complete PBR workflow like substance painter.  That said Substance Painter while fantastic has its own flaws with no seamless painting across uv texture sets/ UDIMs.

This version, well,  adding adaptive sub div with the other ways of working with multi resolution geometry has taken Zbrush as a sculpting too to new depths.  I do wonder however how this translates to the production UV model.  I think this is where Zbrush and me divide apart.  I want to get the maps, high quality maps, thats all I care about at the end of the day, and if all this fancy concepting cant help me make high quality maps then these features remain great for the concept artist.  

Now what would make me go wow! would be If that adaptive sub d mesh could retain its Uvs, and produce high end maps from it as at the end of the day I still have to sub divide my good topo model a million times to project the details on it in order to get the maps.

Dan

Cerbera    1,968
    4 hours ago, Igor said:

Hugely powerful as always, but I wish someone would throw that entire interface in the bin and start again ! :)

CBR

• Like 1

Igor    509
    1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

Hugely powerful as always, but I wish someone would throw that entire interface in the bin and start again ! :)

CBR

Yea, indeed, but for me, biggest issue it that navigation thing, I really don't get it why is still there when all other app using pretty much standard navigation with few exceptions. I cannot believe that they can't incorporate another navigation at least as an option beside standard ZB navigation.

Igor    509

By the way, if someone want to see another version of presentation

its so much funnier! :D

• Like 1

Sketch    0

The ZBrush ui at first glance does seem pretty wacky, but as with any software, if you spend enough time with it, it will make sense.

As someone that started as a traditional artist, I had a studio that appeared to outsiders as a total disaster. Maybe it was, but I knew where everything was.

Zbrush is kinda like that too.

Another nice artist's tool, (if you don't mind getting your noodle twisted around a little bit) is this one: http://polybrush.org/

I like it!