Jump to content
Cinema 4D Plugins

Recommended Posts

Allanonamon    0

Hello

 

I am working on a model and I need to create thickness in the walls of the model. I have looked at two or three tutorials on the internet on how to do this and they looked really helpful. The only thing is the interface on R18 which I am using and the interface they were using in the tutorial videos is somewhat different. As a result I still have not been able to figure out how to do it. Can anyone tell me a procedure to do this on R18?

 

Thanks

 

Allan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cerbera    1,966

Hello, and welcome to the cafe.

 

You just need the Extrude tool. Make your object editable (C) if it isn't already, go into poly mode, select all polys, hit D for extrude, tick caps on in the options then click and drag right in the viewport.

 

CBR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Isleofgough    28

Another way you can add thickness is to simulate>cloth>cloth surface. The advantage of this over extrude is that you can add thickness to things like a lathe nurb with b-spline curve. I am not sure if this is in the prime version of C4D 18 though. I would attach a file, but I have a more recent version.  Basically you make the object you want to thicken a child of the cloth surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cerbera    1,966
4 hours ago, Isleofgough said:

Another way you can add thickness is to simulate>cloth>cloth surface. 

OP has Prime ;) No cloth here, otherwise I would have mentioned it ! Likewise Xplosion FX, the 3rd way of doing it...

 

But while I am here, I did forget something ! XS thickness is yet another way - that's a free plugin that adds thickness and optional control loops for SDS. I use that quite a bit, and it's pretty good.

 

CBR

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StCanas    57

The answer may well depend on what thickness is being added to. Some shapes will start to intersect or cause various other problems with different methods, so we need to see what you're modelling to give a proper answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Allanonamon    0
  • Topic Author
  • Hello

     

    Thanks for the replies. 

     

    What you mentioned worked well Cerebra.

     

    I can look at the other methods too when I have some time. 

     

    Excellent, thanks

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    charumal    0

    Looking for a community curated list or ranking sort of for tutorials on cinema 4d. Otherwise it is too hard for me to decide which ones are good. 

     

    They might not necessarily be on "thickness". If you find any good ones, then please do reply to this message. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Cerbera    1,966
    6 hours ago, charumal said:

    Looking for a community curated list or ranking sort of for tutorials on cinema 4d.

    No chance !! :) There are simply hundreds of thousands of tutorials and no consistent way of assessing their usefulness for any particular task or person. A tutorial that is the most useful thing in the world to one person might be useless or too basic for the next 10, who may already have those skills. Do you see the problem ?! Nope - although the people here on the cafe can usually direct you to good resources for any particular problem and area of study, it's a bit of a reach to expect to find a list of all of them, rated and reviewed... it's just not going to happen...

     

    CBR

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    charumal    0
    On 04/06/2018 at 5:09 AM, Cerbera said:

    No chance !! :) There are simply hundreds of thousands of tutorials and no consistent way of assessing their usefulness for any particular task or person. A tutorial that is the most useful thing in the world to one person might be useless or too basic for the next 10, who may already have those skills. Do you see the problem ?! Nope - although the people here on the cafe can usually direct you to good resources for any particular problem and area of study, it's a bit of a reach to expect to find a list of all of them, rated and reviewed... it's just not going to happen...

     

    CBR

    i think i did find one sort of. It's not a long list but it's somehow community curated sort of. https://hackr.io/tutorials/learn-cinema-4d

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×