bobc4d

You CAN high detail model in Houdini

for those who believe you can't do any serious hard surface modeling in Houdini, look at this.  NO, I didn't model it just posting to show Houdini can do hard surface modeling the detail is amazing so is the node tree for it. C4D has a node tree behind the scenes too you just don't see it.  :wackywink:

5abc2c70753e3_houdinijeepframeresize.thumb.jpg.85d96169c86ad26f2239d433ee7aeb79.jpg5abc2c7144f23_Houdinijeepresize.thumb.jpg.b268fa61d92fd74dfce2f0c28d21deaf.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StCanas said:

Very nice modelling.

We can't tell that without seeing the lines ;) It might be all booles, triangles and phong ! But I hope not - guess it depends who was driving...

CBR

4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

We can't tell that without seeing the lines ;) It might be all booles, triangles and phong ! But I hope not - guess it depends who was driving...

CBR

True, it might be a complete mess. But as far as what we can see there, it looks very nice. And, besides, if it renders up O.K. then it doesn't matter how much gimpy geo there is in it, so it might, or might not matter.

• Topic Author
  • he does admit the topology is not as good as it could be as he used VDB's, still learning so not to sure what that is but I know it does create dense mesh and for the most part he mostly used quads.   Houdini is not used as a modeler so much but it is moving toward that direction.

Great things can be done in almost every 3D package.  What really matters is how fast can one get there.  We need to know the time taken to know how good Houdini is for modeling.

Yes, as above, but also the wire frames needed to be able to determent the method used to model, it could all be made of primitive objects not connected, which will make it a very fast modelling time.