Sign in to follow this  
imashination

3D Fluff freebie, halve your render time

10 hours ago, imashination said:

True but it gets tricky with spotlights. If you plan to model the housing unit and geometry of the light fitting then this is a good choice, but in many cases the lights in large arenas never truly get modelling, there are just a number of lights up in the ceiling casting generic light downwards.

With the trick Redshift does it is probably the best option if you need to have a ton of spot lights in the scene.

On 4/8/2018 at 4:52 AM, imashination said:

Specular does have uses, but if you are going to the lengths of adding real reflections and using roughness to soften them, at this point imho you may as well go all the way and dump specular completely.

This is a good point.  For maximum realism a reflection with fresnel, roughness, and no spec is the best.  It is nice having the spec option for artistic purposes though.

• Topic Author
  • Here you go, give this a go. Using one area light for the illumination but splitting off the shadows.

Wow! Six months ago I would have closed this window and started Googling Mech armor. But now I could follow everything that was said in the posts and in videos. Thank you all for this discussion. I have some lighting and textures to fix.