3 minutes ago, jed said:

I'm guessing the original problem was due to the fact that wherever you draw a spline, its axis is at world center.

Indeed. That, and axis mode rotations remain the only confusing part of working with splines left in Cinema ! Most other little annoyances were fixed when they re-wrote the spline tools. So, to summarize, the workflow for making sweeps is as follows...

• Draw your profile spline in the Front orthographic view.
  • Immediately use axis center on that spline to align its axis to points center.
  • Set the spline interpolation correctly (usually not Adaptive )

• Draw your Path Spline in the Right orthographic view, pointing down Z.
  • Immediately use axis center on that spline to align its axis to points center (not strictly necessary for path spline, but still good practice!)
  • Set the spline interpolation correctly (usually Uniform or Natural, with enough segments to describe the curves).

• Get the Sweep object by selecting the path spline, holding Alt, and adding it. This aligns it to the path spline and makes it its parent.
  • Add the profile spline above the path as a child of the sweep.
  • If the sweep is working correctly, you're done. If not, then go into Axis Mode, select the profile spline in Object mode, and Rotate its axis a little bit on each axis, one at a time, until you find the right one, observing the sweep result to know which axis is correct.
  • Remove the caps options (none) to preserve all quads. You can patch those manually later with bridge or poly pen tools.

Hope that helps

CBR

@Cerbera while we're on about splines, let me hijack the thread with one of my spline problems -

Let's say I've got a helicopter that follows a spline through a city. I decide to extend the spline with more points, in top view. When I go back to perspective view, the new points are (sometimes) a million miles from where I'd like them. Ideally, I'd like each new point to be the same Y as the last - or maybe at Y0, but the new points are sometimes at -4,000 etc.

Is this a bug or a feature ?

• Topic Author
  • Thanks guys, yes sometimes seeing a video makes all the difference as i can actually see the process better.. I was looking at the axis, i understand this CBR, but couldn't see where i was going wrong exactly.. thanks again though for all your help guys.. i now have to cut into the model making it editable.. that should be fun and games..

My skill set is mostly photoshop but would like to be able to do these visuals all in C4D at some point. :)

cheers

1 hour ago, jed said:

@Cerbera while we're on about splines, let me hijack the thread with one of my spline problems -

Let's say I've got a helicopter that follows a spline through a city. I decide to extend the spline with more points, in top view. When I go back to perspective view, the new points are (sometimes) a million miles from where I'd like them. Ideally, I'd like each new point to be the same Y as the last - or maybe at Y0, but the new points are sometimes at -4,000 etc.

Is this a bug or a feature ?

That's a bug I think, in that they can't possibly have designed it to work like that  !  :)

The workaround is not to extend the spline by adding points (in any view) to the end of it, but rather by moving the last point then using the knife tool (or add point) to cut in new ones, which will be at the same level as the one you moved. Slightly longer way round than we'd hope for but not too much...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • thanks guys this is great, it seems as soon as i master one thing there's always another waiting around the corner.. I'll use the knife tool to cut into my model. hopefully this will give me the freedom to then adapt the shape.. :)

• Topic Author
  • Hi guys,

so I'm in the process of building this model. When i drop into sds, the point at the top front goes all weird. Any idea how i can sort out my geometry? Ideally i need to loop select so i get a nice chamfer on the top front face, when I drop back into sds. The other model has too many sections in to edit.

any tips would be great?

thanks 

sweep test v4.c4d

You need to make the sweep editable and manually cap the geometry with quads if you want to use this with SDS, as Cinema cannot give you all quads via the regular sweep settings, even if you have Quadrangles and Regular Grid ticked. SDS wants 100% quads, so that's what you have to give it...

To do this, turn caps off, make the sweep editable, then close polygon hole to put the caps back, then use the knife tool to connect that into quads. lastly, add control loops close to either end face so that the sweep can properly hold its form under SDS. Alternatively you could do that by adding extra points to the path spline of the sweep before you make it editable...

CBR

Uh oh. I've just seen the geometry you are making that sweep out of, which is wrong from the start unfortunately. Due to incorrect spline interpolation settings in the profile spline you have an uneven number of edge loops on the left and right side of the model, which will be impossible to solve to quads without essentially removing all the support edge loops and adding them again, all over the model.

CBR

This is what it should look like when you have quadrified the basic form and removed the uneven edge loops the sweep created...

5acbc3c85ea0a_sweep01.thumb.JPG.7cc3e913884eaeea35fd6ae6231cc780.JPG

Then you need to add these new control loops (K, Loop mode)...

5acbc2a15ec11_Sweep02.thumb.JPG.a80bfa321e39798f18f54c1cdd0f0c3a.JPG

..and then it will look like this under SDS...

5acbc2ac8c13b_sweep03.thumb.JPG.61bafe17afbd17a0243746c5a384b6f3.JPG

If you want that front bit to remain flat, then you need to bevel out the center edge loop, with one subdivision, which will do this...

5acbc38323baf_Sweep04.thumb.JPG.f3eab2fb07d2e83083661e10c5eeaa52.JPG

CBR