Sign in to follow this  
Doughaddy

"Vector" type models in C4D?

Hey there, I'm creating some DAE exports of topography and other mining infrastructure for viewing on a website. Some of the items become quite heavy when created in C4D such as mesh created with Atom array. I'd love to find a way to create it more like a vector type shape, like this: 

https://corebox.net/properties/patterson-lake-south

Note how the mesh is not really a 3D object but more of a vector object... same with the distance scales. Any idea if this can be done (or similar) using C4D? 

Thanks! 

19 hours ago, doughaddy said:

Some of the items become quite heavy when created in C4D such as mesh created with Atom array.

I bet they do ! :)

If I'm understanding you correctly, then I think you want some sort of cel shading or Sketch'n'Toon based solution which you can use to draw grid lines / outlines, cel shading without having to physically have the geometry there. So instead of putting a plane in an Atom Array you'd just leave it as it is and render the lines, either alone, or to be combined with the beauty pass render in post.

I am no Sketch'n'Toon expect, so I will leave it to those that are to explain the optimal settings there !

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Cerebra, thanks for the thoughts... unfortunately this project is not for render but for export to DAE so I don't think sketch and toon would do it. I fear what I'm looking for would be the domain of some other software. Thanks though! 

11 minutes ago, doughaddy said:

unfortunately this project is not for render but for export to DAE so I don't think sketch and toon would do it. I fear what I'm looking for would be the domain of some other software. Thanks though! 

Ah - sorry yes - I did wonder if I had properly grasped what you were trying to ask :)

And now I understand you better, I think I agree with you that Cinema can't do anything to help you here. Let's see if the hive mind knows any different ! :)

CBR

i cant see the attached pic coz im at work and its gets blocked :-D but my fave wireframe trick is select all the relevant edges do an edge to spline and then fiddle with hair shader to get the effect you want. hope this helps

• Topic Author
  • Hey Caliburn, thanks for that... it does a great job except that my final goal is to export as a DAE object and when I do that the spline doesn't show... I guess because it's not really an object? (Can't export splines to DAE?? -- not sure!) 

Thanks for any further thoughts! 

• Topic Author
  • Just a note to anyone else having trouble with the size of meshes created with atom array... I've found it's much better to turn the plane into an editable object, then select all edges and perform and "edges to spline" function, then sweep the splines. Final size is about 1/5th. Big difference if you're export to a file like DAE for web use. 

Thanks for the help guys... 

D.