Sign in to follow this  
GauravB

Black Dots in Render

Hi, so I am rendering this scene and on this building I noticed a bunch of black dots appearing  (see pictures)

I have no idea what is causing this and how to fix it. This is an animation not a still.  These dots appear constantly on different parts of the building

throughout the animation.

f1.PNG

F2.PNG

f3.PNG

f4.PNG

Edited by GauravB
Added render setting screenshot

What render engine are you using, and we need to see your settings therein... pls post the screenshots of your settings...

CBR

• Topic Author
  • I am using c4d standard renderer 

f4.PNG

OK, well your output is set to a very weird size - 1089.362 is not what I'd call a good number there - it shouldn't have decimal places !

But that won't be what's causing your black dots. That is something else, which I can't tell from your render settings unfortunately.

The last time I saw black dots like that, they were a bug in R16's atmosphere settings - are you using any sort of physical sky, haze, fog or that sort of thing ? Also, try turning depth of field off and see if the problem persists.

CBR

1 hour ago, GauravB said:

These dots appear constantly on different parts of the building throughout the animation.

Could you elaborate? Are the dots in every single frame? Do they change location every single frame? Do they ONLY appear on the building?  If you render the same frame twice, do they show up in the same place?

I am also confused by the scale - are these spots the size of a single pixel in the final animation?

My first instinct is always to turn off all the effects (AO, Lens Effects, DoF) and see if the problem continues. If not, you've immediately narrowed down the list of possibilities, and can very quickly narrow it further. I am disturbed by the fact that they appear to be single, completely black pixels. 

• Topic Author
  • Yes they occur in every single frame and change locations of the building. They would not show up in the same place if I render it twice. and this is zoomed

in quite a bit.  I will see if this persists even while turning off all effects

• Topic Author
  • 38 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

OK, well your output is set to a very weird size - 1089.362 is not what I'd call a good number there - it shouldn't have decimal places !

But that won't be what's causing your black dots. That is something else, which I can't tell from your render settings unfortunately.

The last time I saw black dots like that, they were a bug in R16's atmosphere settings - are you using any sort of physical sky, haze, fog or that sort of thing ? Also, try turning depth of field off and see if the problem persists.

CBR

Yes I am using a physical sky atmosphere to try and sell the effect that they are far away, as I dont know how else to do this.  I will get back to you when I try your solution to see if it works

OK, then the only answer, I'm afraid, is going to be removing the atmosphere and doing that another way...

Turning off DoF will not solve this now we have confirmed the atmosphere issue. That is a known bug.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, Cerbera said:

OK, then the only answer, I'm afraid, is going to be removing the atmosphere and doing that another way...

Turning off DoF will not solve this now we have confirmed the atmosphere issue. That is a known bug.

CBR

aw man... so do you know how to pull of this effect without using physical sky atmosphere, and also does this bug persist in c4d r17? 

It still persists to 19.053 as far as I am aware ! If it was a still I'd tell you to paint the dots out in post, but obviously that is impractical for animation purposes.

Fortunately there are other ways to do ground fog, with which we can achieve a passable simulation of haze.

I'd try first with square parallel spot, rotated so that it points upwards, and with Volumetric light enabled, and the radius set big enough to encompass the scene.

Then you'd add some massive scale noise (at least 1000 units in each direction) in the noise tab of the light, then play with those settings and falloff in order to get a sort of ground fog / haze hybrid.

CBR

• Topic Author
  • Thanks so much!!

You're welcome...

CBR