Rendercore Lab

Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith

Animating a Piston: Troubleshooting.

BLSmith    9

First Question: SOLVED. See below second dotted line for second question.

==================================================

First Request (Answered & Solved within original post & first three comments): 

Hey all. I'm trying to animate a piston in Cinema 4D. My current issue is forcing the piston head to operate on the Y-axis, however it just spins around in circles along with everything else. 

I've set up my piston as follows: 

Any ideas? Thanks!

==================================================

Second Request: (Unsolved): Comments start after 5th reply regarding this video. 

Optimizing my workflow. I achieved the animation I wanted, but I feel like I did a lot of redundant and unnecessary steps and I would appreciate it if you could find a half-hour to watch this and let me know (perhaps with time-codes) what I could have done to speed this process up:

Thanks!

Cerbera    1,730

Excellent explainer vid again, BL :) More like that please ! 

I do have ideas, but annoyingly I do have to run out now  before the shops close and NAB starts :)

But until someone else jumps in, or I get back, maybe something in here can help...

CBR

BLSmith    9
  • Topic Author
  • I've already done this tutorial and achieved the same result: 

.. back in May of last year. Only the same methods aren't working for my piston for some reason... 

Edit: Though it was a different expressor method. I will re-try this method but I am 99% confident I will not get the same result. Will report back. 

Edit 2: He manipulates the global position of the entire project, I can't do this because I have to rotate the piston to it's original location when I am done with the animation (see image below).

image.thumb.png.ad1ccba10bd7af988a11f6a9edf4160b.png

What's more, he uses a math expression that does work on my piston-head but does not work on my connecting rod. The only way to address this, as far as I can tell is to create a secondary math equation... and frankly, this just makes this significantly more confusing. Here's a video detailing the difficulties on translating this tutorial to my model: 

BLSmith    9
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks Cerbera for giving me some things to think about. I think I have solved this problem. Here is a video detailing the fix:

Now I had one other question: I'd like to make a video detailing how I managed to make this animation from beginning to end, and ask if there are better more efficient ways to accomplish the same tasks. Should I make that video and post it in this thread, or mark this thread as solved and create a new one? Thanks!

Cerbera    1,730

Ah yes, sorry I rather forgot about you there ! Got absorbed in the NAB presentations, and got nothing done. Nice to see you've been more productive and have found a solution ! :)

This is still quite a new thread, and your new video will be about this, so I'd upload that here !

CBR

BLSmith    9
  • Topic Author
  • Here is a video on me taking my raw 3D Model, converting it, importing it into Cinema4D, organizing it, and then ultimately animating it. I apologize for the length, but honestly it couldn't have been much shorter as I'm pretty proud that I didn't really get stuck throughout making it haha! What I am looking for, if anyone has the time to look at this video: Please tell me what I could do in the future to optimize my workflow. Perhaps this wouldn't need to take 32 minutes but maybe 15 XD

Link to video: