Roei

Polygon Pen showing Shattered Polygon

Hi

I am trying to follow this chapter in a C4D Course:

https://www.lynda.com/CINEMA-4D-tutorials/Exploring-PolyPen/410689/462774-4.html?autoplay=true

the author is showing how to create a geometry using the polygon pen. as he creates more segments, I see my viewport

is showing additional edges between the points and I am not seeing them in his explanation. 

this is what he is showing: 01.jpg 01.jpg

this is what I am seeing: 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

why is my geometry seems broken in compared to his? is it a preview setting or some checkbox I am missing?

01.jpg

02.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Not got time or do I have an account to watch that video but maybe your find the answer watching my polygon pen tutorial.   Look up cgdreamstutorials on YouTube 

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thanks I will look it up. *edit: is this it? I seem to be doing the exact thing he is doing. it's just I am showing the polygons as shattered. but maybe any explanation to why are there appearing to be shattering between points? (these cyan lines - what are these?) I realize now these are not edges, maybe some preview of some sort that is showing me more information? 

Hi Roei, just comparing your screenshot with his you are in point mode he is in lines mode. Could that be the reason?

Also his arch subdivisions is -11  yours- 10

Yes that is my tutorial.  digitvisions is correct in that being in different modes produce different effects as to how the polygon pen works, I go through this is my video.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, digitvisions said:

Hi Roei, just comparing your screenshot with his you are in point mode he is in lines mode. Could that be the reason?

Also his arch subdivisions is -11  yours- 10

Thanks, these do not make a difference. still seeing these Cyan lines. 

1 hour ago, Rectro said:

being in different modes produce different effects as to how the polygon pen works, I go through this is my video.

did not see in your video where you point out about these Cyan lines...

here's a GIF showing what I mean. I think it's a preview setting or something. 

BREAKS.gif

The the view port filter you have Ngon Lines turned on.  Turn this off the lines will vanish.  This is a suggestion line telling you how you can avoid ngons.

Dan

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Great, Thanks. I watched as you explained about the N-GON thing. will have to dig deeper into that to see how exactly I can model correctly using this method. 

The polygon pen can be used for many things, for me its a nice re-topology tool, its faster to join, or fill edge to edge than the bridge tool, and you can make more calculated choices for edge flow on a existing model.  I also use this tool for making characters heads, its very good for that.  The Ngon thing is a important thing to stay clear from.  Having more than 4 edges to a polygon causes so many issues from modelling tasks including using loop slice tools to rendering artefacts, all the way to bad deformation for animation, and sculpting.

Dan

• Topic Author
  • Thanks for the input Dan, will remember that. appreciate the help. great help here in the C4D Cafe forum.