Sign in to follow this  
bentraje

Align Normals Command Not Working

bentraje    94

HI, just wondering is there a better way to "align the normals"? 
The default command is not really working for me:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twii06th0jtnh7i/c4d058_align_normals_not_working.mp4?dl=0

I also tried running the optimize command but its not really working for me. The links suggested in this thread are also dead :( 

Fritz    17

Hi bentraje,

what version was used for this? Align Normals was rewritten in R19.

Also if this was done in R19: the video already suggest the mesh has some bigger topology issues. Could you upload a scenefile, so we can investigate?

Regards

Fritz

Cerbera    1,730

Yep, @Fritz is right - that command tends to fail most reliably when there are other topology problems. From your video I would agree that you seem to have some coplanar polys there, which will always confuse the hell out of the normal commands.

However it can fail in R19 and all previous versions, polygon errors or not. When it does this, the first stage is to select all polys and Align Normals. If that doesn't work, then select the polys that are still wrong individually, and Reverse Normal for those. When you have done a few of those try AN again, which will probably work.

I do hear people say that the R19 Normal tools are flawless, but experience tells me that is not the case. None of my meshes have any polygon errors, and yet sometimes the normal commands won't work.

CBR

bentraje    94
  • Topic Author
  • Thanks for the heads up @Fritz and @Cerbera. I guess I am at a dead-end of this. I do not have access to R19 at the moment. 

But you can take a stab of the project here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9wqjw8dam6rrwv/c4d058_align_normals_not_working.c4d?dl=0

BTW, I do not get any email notification from your replies in the thread I have created. Is this normal?

bentraje    94
  • Topic Author
  • I use the Mesh Checker first as suggested in this thread 

It worked flawlessly! :)

Fritz    17

Hi bentraje,

the mesh has many non manifold areas. I tested it in R19 and it works much better. For this mesh there is no "correct" solution, because the non manifold areas make it impossible to decide what "aligning the normals" even means.

Regards

Fritz