vickiewondaz

How do I create a Royal Crown ?

I have been trying to create a royal crown using loft with some circle splines but the whole work got messy as soon as i tried to create the pointed edges. How do i resolve this issue?

Cerbera    1,922

We will need to see a picture of what you are trying to create...

But in general, the advice for modelling cylindrical forms would be to model it properly using Polygons and Subdivision Surfaces, and Radial Arrays...

CBR

Cerbera    1,922

I see. Yes, all my previous advice applies - lofts are not the way to build this. You should make this with polygons, SDS and a radial array - obviously those skills take some time to acquire, so watch some basic polygon modelling tutorials if you don't know how to do that.

There are 9 points to this crown so you should start with a cylinder with an amount of segments divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 9.

so 144 radial segments should do it, giving you 16 polys per crown 'point', which should be enough to start getting those details in. 

Or, if you just don't have the requisite modelling skills,  you could sculpt it, this time using radial symmetry, like this guy is doing (starts at 52 mins in).

CBR

• Like 1

Yohnson    1
On 13/04/2018 at 4:45 PM, Cerbera said:

There are 9 points to this crown so you should start with a cylinder with an amount of segments divisible by 2, 3, 4 and 9.

so 144 radial segments should do it, giving you 16 polys per crown 'point', which should be enough to start getting those details in. 

Just chipping in with a question as to why you need segments divisable by 2,3,4 and 9? (the 9 makes sense and it makes sense why you would need enough segments to start getting in the detail)

I'm sure there is a perfectly logical answer :)

Cerbera    1,922
3 hours ago, Yohnson said:

why you need segments divisable by 2,3,4 and 9?

This is kinda hard to explain. Modelling Rule '234' simply put, ensures you get topology with the most helpful segment options when initially you are trying to 'guesstimate' how many segments you need for the starting point of any particular model. In the case of a cylindrical model like this we must choose correctly early on because if we end up adding extra edges later the chances are we will ruin any perfect circularity we may have had going on, and if we are working on a single 'wedge' of the whole it is impossible to use any points-to-circle type scripts to fix that (at least without collapsing the whole model).

If the amount you choose is divisible by your target number AND 2, then it can't end up an uneven number, which helps with quad patching (it is impossible to preserve cap quads on cylindrical shapes if this condition is not met). If it is also divisible by 3 and 4, then you simply have greatest flexibility when adding smaller details later. But because we are using radial arrays with this crown, we should be applying the 234 rule to the individual crown point sections, then multiplying that by 9 to get the correct target amount for the whole. I suggested 16 points per crown point section because I think that is enough to get in the centreline-based details and that number gives us roughly the right amount of polygon density for the details I will add AND an edge down the center of each section. Were we to not know what details we needed to add later (we might be designing a crown from scratch for example), 24 might be a better number here, as that is divisible by 2, 3 and 4.

CBR

• Like 1

Yohnson    1
2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Were we to not know what details we needed to add later (we might be designing a crown from scratch for example), 24 might be a better number here, as that is divisible by 2, 3 and 4.

CBR

But that would be for a crown with 8 points?

Cerbera    1,922
3 minutes ago, Yohnson said:

But that would be for a crown with 8 points?

Sorry, I meant 24 x the number of points in the crown !

CBR

Yohnson    1
2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Sorry, I meant 24 x the number of points in the crown !

CBR

Ah now that makes sense :)

Cheers

Cerbera    1,922
4 minutes ago, vickiewondaz said:

please, i am kinda confused

...about what ?

CBR