Onilgob

A "How Do I Model This" Thread?

Onilgob    3

Could we perhaps start a pinned thread similar to the one over at Polycount, but on the forums here at the Cafe? I know that Anyone from any 3D program can go over there and get assistance since all modelling techniques are generally the same and carry over, but I think it'd be cool if we had one here that is even more focused for C4D, and would help anyone inquiring about a shape even more so than someone showing you how to do it in another modelling program. This way specific steps using specific tools and objects can be given. Also, One does not need to try and search the forums for a similar post and/or create a new post.

Whenever I need something, i just go there and use the search function on that thread for the specific thing I want, it's just almost always steps given in another program.

Edited by Cerbera
Language removed

VECTOR    530
2 minutes ago, Onilgob said:

Could we perhaps start a pinned thread similar to the one over at Polycount, but on the forums here at the Cafe? I know that Anyone from any 3D program can go over there and get assistance since all modelling techniques are generally the same and carry over, but I think it'd be cool if we had one here that is even more focused for C4D, and would help anyone inquiring about a shape even more so than someone showing you how to do it in another modelling program. This way specific steps using specific tools and objects can be given. Also, One does not need to try and search the forums for a similar post and/or create a new post.

Whenever I need something, i just go there and use the search function on that thread for the specific thing I want, it's just almost always steps given in another program.

Yea i don't see why not, could be a fun , i think adopting the same sort of rules as the polycount thread would be wise, i.e no tanks, cars or things like that, and dedicating it towards sub d modelling 

Onilgob    3
  • Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, VECTOR said:

...i think adopting the same sort of rules as the polycount thread would be wise, i.e no tanks, cars or things like that, and dedicating it towards sub d modelling 

Yeah, I agree. I figured you guys would know the best guidelines to lay out for everyone to follow.

Cerbera    1,968

Guys, we can't have F-bombs in the thread titles !!

But otherwise a good idea ? Maybe. You can model pretty much ANYTHING with Sub-D, and that's an awful lot of things to have in one thread !

I help people model stuff every day on this site and a lot of that advice is quite specific - if all those were in one thread, it would be several thousand pages long, and would be so old it would never show up in the main topics list ! Also, people uploading gifs and pics to help their explanations quickly run out of media space here, which I worry would ultimately result not in a stellar resource of all types of models as we'd hope, but in a thread full of broken image links and incomplete solutions !

I think I am talking myself round to this not being such a great idea after all, or maybe we could restrict media to external links to avoid that problem, or find another way round it...

We do already have 2 clubs devoted to topology (admittedly I could spend a bit more time on mine !), so perhaps the place for this, or something like it is in one of those ?

CBR

• Like 1

Onilgob    3
  • Topic Author
  • 4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Guys, we can't have F-bombs in the thread titles !!

Whoops, sorry. I was blindly quoting the original source.

Also, I was unaware, mostly, of these clubs. I knew they existed, but didn't know they actually did anything. Guess I should go poke around.